IE 8 constantly hanging, why is this not being fixed?

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer' started by Tony A, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Tony A

Tony A Guest

IE 8 constantly hanging, why is this not being fixed? I noticed that this a
    very prevalent issue across many MS IE8 users, and the community is getting
    very frustrated with this, so my question is why is this not be addressed by
    Microsoft? How can MS continue to have this issue present in its software, I
    am starting to wonder if we have all been taken for a ride in the big hype
    about this product. Get this fixed or have a mass migration of users off
    your product and seeking the competitors.

Tony A, Sep 22, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Tony A

Leonard Grey Guest

There's really nothing that Microsoft can do if a user installs software
    that is not compatible with Internet Explorer. It's easy enough to find
    out if an application is compatible, since virtually all applications
    list their system requirements.

There's also nothing Microsoft can do if a user does not install
    Internet Explorer correctly. Installation instructions and practical
    advice are readily available on the internet.

Neither is their anything Microsoft can do if a user mis-configures
    their software. I suppose you can blame Microsoft for including an
    incomplete Help file, however a web search provides all the detail most
    users need.

Finally, there's not much Microsoft can do about web designers who have
    incorrectly coded their websites. Internet Explorer 8 was available to
    web developers long before its final release.

This is not to say that Internet Explorer is a perfect product -- no
    software is perfect. However, virtually all the complaints reported in
    this newsgroup are caused by one or more of the four problems listed above.

Leonard Grey, Sep 22, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Tony A

Jim Guest

As long as we are asking questions: Why is yours hanging, but mine isn't?
    Jim

Jim, Sep 22, 2009
  4. Not here. Wonder why?

PA Bear [MS MVP], Sep 22, 2009
  5. Tony A

Tony A Guest

To all those who replied, thank you for doing so.

I have to say there is not much installed on my PC, I am running Vista
    Premium, and a few other not to demanding apps. My security SW is from a
    reputable provider.

The internet explorer was installed from the MS website a while ago, and was
    done so successfully, with no problems. If you google or search on any other
    search engines for hanging issues with IE8 you will get a whole lot of
    hits!!! I did not have any issues with IE7 before, only after having
    installed IE8. I have all the current updates from MS for Vista and IE, as
    well as the requried updates for malware.

So, with over 25 years of experience in IT, having followed the progression
    of MS to date I do possess the knowledge to conclude when software is not up
    to par and seems to have been released with serious performance issues. The
    odd thing is that is not a reproducible issue, and occurs randomly!!! I
    could be running for days without any problem and then one day it would hang
    (upto 2 to 3 times). I have to cold boot my PC. I cannot even get task
    manager up (ctrl-atl-del doesn't work)!!!

So I care to differ that this is not a Microsoft problem.

Tony A, Sep 23, 2009
  6. If you've got "over 25 years of experience in IT" you know that users don't
    post in newsgroups and forums to say that they're NOT having any problems,
    Tony, so take those search results with a 20# bag of salt.

No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
    (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31 December
    2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain
    environment.
    => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
    => Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=13043

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx

NB (WinXP): Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're
    prepared to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

NB (Vista): Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're
    prepared to install IE8, right-click on the saved file and select "Run as
    Administator.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
    and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
    installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
    anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
    before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
    third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
    Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
    System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
    reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

XP users => Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then go to
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any
    Critical Security Updates offered (i.e., KB972260). If a Root Certificates
    update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
    advantage of IE's enhanced security.

Vista users=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then
    check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security updates
    offered.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
    application version, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender),
    and your third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 before you
    decide install it.

Having problems (e.g. hangin)? Keep reading...

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
    IE in No Add-ons mode:

2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!

PA Bear [MS MVP], Sep 23, 2009
  7. Tony A

Leonard Grey Guest

"I have to say there is not much installed on my PC, I am running Vista
    Premium, and a few other not to demanding apps."

It only takes one incompatible application to bring down Internet
    Explorer, and it need not be "demanding".

Yours is an illustration of why we automatically discount any post that
    includes "I have X years of experience using a computer..."

Leonard Grey, Sep 23, 2009
  8. Thx Robear for your useful links and tips. However:
    (Please don't be upset. I am really praising the lot of help you are bringing on this newsgroup, generally, not only in this particular thread. Yet I think that everyone posting much is going soon or late to post too fast, and if none dares to tell him, then the quality of his posts will inevitably drop. This is why I try to address it - please indulge and/or skip if this displease you. Also, if you have no time right now to read it slowly, then better drop it, none will misunderstand your not-responding).

« users don't post in newsgroups and forums to say that they're NOT having any problems »
    This argument proves nothing. Worse, bad software makers use it a lot more than do good ones. And we, users, can never be sure which posts are from true other users, or from vendor shills disguised as users and posting good reviews on their products and bad reviews on their competitors' (or even more manipulative, posting intentionally ridiculous praises on their adversaries, or intentionally ridiculous rants on their own product, whether in order to better discredit similar reviews in general - or simply to help sell a future version, etc). Too bad: all this does happen, thus sheds suspicion onto everyone, including the best ones. Anyway it remains that there are way too many reports about "IE 8 constantly hanging" (be they from true users truly hurt or from MS friends helping a campaign, or anything else); better address the problem, or at least recognize it, than getting embarrassed in defending the indefensible.

« Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update »
    Then how is it that Microsoft continues to propose IE8 as an Update in MU (Microsoft Update) without telling anything about the "manual" install? This is very disturbing, even more when it is so often repeated by Microsoft people (from staff or management to "volunteers" of all sorts). MU is supposed to essentially save time, by the user being able to RELY on it. If it is UNRELIABLE, then it misses its very purpose. Customers would have nothing to say in case of an accidental and temporary lack of reliability, provided it is duly taken care of (e.g. accompanying the IE8 item in MU with a warning saying "Microsoft recommends to NOT install that update, but to install IE8 manually, see http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx"); but a lack this general and persistent is putting in question the reliability of the entire Microsoft ecosystem itself. If officially appointed "volunteers" are unable to convey such an important issue up to developers promptly enough that the due warning is issued in due place in the week, then how can we trust the company, organization, architecture and system?

« Uninstall all third-party toolbars... and third-party Windows Themes... Close all open applications... disabling your anti-virus... disabling it (third-party firewall) and then enabling the
    Windows Firewall... Create a Restore Point... Do NOT use System Restore... Reboot twice... make certain that your anti-virus (etc) are supported in IE8... »
    I recall that CUSTOMERS have BOUGHT, for a HIGH PRICE, a so-called "operating" system license, supposed to free them of the ancillary *operations*, and of course of the *maintenance* of these operations and their basic tools. Asking users that *they* spend so much time doing so many so tedious and lengthy low-level parts of that maintenance, is essentially requiring them to do the job *they* paid *MS* for doing it. I recall that after 30 years of development and high revenue, the Windows "operating" system should be "operating" properly, at least when maintaining *itself*. Please Robear try to escalate this to upper management.

« if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?... if you Reset IE Advanced settings...? »
    Add-Ons http://www.ieaddons.com and "Advanced" settings are essential parts of the software we PAID Microsoft for (and of all its competitors as well BTW). Dropping them is making IE an underdog tool. Sure a tool that does nothing will never hang. Microsoft would better use such a dumb argument ONLY very temporarily while trying to identify a bug. But recommending it on the large and persistent scale we have been witnessing for years now, is looking as if none at MS had really thought about the very problem.

More generally, it seems that MS is bowing down to anyone dumb enough (look: all MS software are more and more dumb-oriented, with huge icons, fewer options, less user empowerment and little ground; MS if continuing so, may get some day overpassed by toy programs as Firefox or Notepad++!), and look down on anyone knowing a little more (just see around here). This is actually equivalent to stating that being a customer of Microsoft were sufficient to prove that you were dumb; I don't think it is a successful way of selecting who will be your customers. And of course this tends to chase away anyone having some knowledge, education, intelligence. Do you only remember what was the audience of these very newsgroups at their beginning? I think MS past success relied, and future success will rely, on more positive attitude, i.e. stopping assuming the customer is stupid angry negative illiterate liar (again, see around this post), and starting assuming oppositely that the customer *or user or visitor* is *intelligent, honest and kind*. Then you would discover users' interesting and likable sides that you never imagined.

Sorry for being so long - and again I spent the time to write this because hoping to please you and to be useful; in case I am awkward or fail in any other way, please don't get upset or waste your time, just skip.

Versailles, Thu 24 Sep 2009 00:46:35 +0200

----- Newsgroup ("news" links are clickable in Outlook Express) -----
    news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
    ----- Thread -----
    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...er.general/browse_frm/thread/acb22ca529e4784b

----- Parent Message ("news" links are clickable in OE) -----
    news://msnews.microsoft.com/%23HMUPd%
    Sent: Wed 23 Sep 2009 00:38:47 GMT
    Subject: Re: IE 8 constantly hanging, why is this not being fixed?

If you've got "over 25 years of experience in IT" you know that users don't post in newsgroups and forums to say that they're NOT having any problems, Tony, so take those search results with a 20# bag of salt.

No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31 December 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain environment.
    => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
    => Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=13043

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx

NB (WinXP): Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're prepared to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

NB (Vista): Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're prepared to install IE8, right-click on the saved file and select "Run as Administator.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live) and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's) before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8.
    [Do NOT use System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

XP users => Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any Critical Security Updates offered (i.e., KB972260).
    If a Root Certificates update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE's enhanced security.

Vista users=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security updates offered.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus application version, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and your third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 before you decide install it.

Having problems (e.g. hangin)? Keep reading...

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start IE in No Add-ons mode:

2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
    www.banthecheck.com

news://msnews.microsoft.com/
    Sent: Wed 23 Sep 2009 00:30:02 GMT

To all those who replied, thank you for doing so.

I have to say there is not much installed on my PC, I am running Vista Premium, and a few other not to demanding apps. My security SW is from a reputable provider.

The internet explorer was installed from the MS website a while ago, and was done so successfully, with no problems. If you google or search on any other search engines for hanging issues with IE8 you will get a whole lot of hits!!! I did not have any issues with IE7 before, only after having installed IE8. I have all the current updates from MS for Vista and IE, as well as the requried updates for malware.

So, with over 25 years of experience in IT, having followed the progression of MS to date I do possess the knowledge to conclude when software is not up to par and seems to have been released with serious performance issues. The odd thing is that is not a reproducible issue, and occurs randomly!!! I could be running for days without any problem and then one day it would hang (upto 2 to 3 times). I have to cold boot my PC. I cannot even get task manager up (ctrl-atl-del doesn't work)!!!

So I care to differ that this is not a Microsoft problem.

--
    Tony A

news://msnews.microsoft.com/%
    Sent: Tue 22 Sep 2009 21:45:30 GMT

Not here. Wonder why?

news://msnews.microsoft.com/
    Sent: Tue 22 Sep 2009 19:31:02 GMT
    Subject: IE 8 constantly hanging, why is this not being fixed?

IE 8 constantly hanging, why is this not being fixed? I noticed that this a very prevalent issue across many MS IE8 users, and the community is getting very frustrated with this, so my question is why is this not be addressed by Microsoft? How can MS continue to have this issue present in its software, I am starting to wonder if we have all been taken for a ride in the big hype about this product. Get this fixed or have a mass migration of users off your product and seeking the competitors.

Michel Merlin, Sep 23, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question