InfraRed port stops working after Windows Update on May 6 2004.

Discussion in 'Windows Update' started by Maitreya, May 7, 2004.

1. Maitreya

Maitreya Guest

HW: Acer TravelMate 610 Laptop with a built in SMC IrCC Fast InfraRed port (info from hardware listing in Win2k
    OS: Windows 2000 Professional, patched with Windows update on May 6 2004 (I think fixes to Sasser bug were downloaded
    Problem: Before Windows Update, I was able to use the IR port to connect my Nokia 7250 phone using Nokia's PC Suite software. I could transfer files etc. with no problems. After the update, IR port simply stopped working. The IR driver appears in the Device Manager and there are no errors shown there. But, the Wireless Link icon on the task bar does not appear when I bring my phone near the IR port. Nokia's PC suite can't find the phone and so refuses to work. I've tried re-installing the SMC IrCC driver, Nokia PC Suite etc. all to no avail
    I know this is a problem with Windows Update because I re-installed Windows 2000 and everything worked fine until I ran Windows update and downloaded the latest patches.

Now, I can't live without the latest windows update because wonderful viruses like Sasser prowl the web these days. So, I'm stuck with a broken IR port and left wondering why MS had to touch driver level code just to fix something to do with LSASS/Sasser

I've also written to Acer about this. I was wondering if anyone else has had device driver problems after the latest updates?
    Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Maitreya

Maitreya, May 7, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question