Internet Explorer 7--Would like to remove it

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer' started by Richard4597, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Richard4597

Richard4597 Guest

I recently loaded IE7 into my system on Tuesday and I am seriously unhappy
    with how unuser friendly it is. Can someone tell me how i can find IE6 and
    download it back into my system. Thanks

Richard4597, Nov 16, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Richard4597

Gordon Guest

If you'd done ANY sort of search in this group you would have found HUNDREDS
    of posts on how to do this.
    Control Panel-Add/Remove Programs.

Gordon, Nov 16, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Richard4597

Spender Guest

You'll find the answer in other replies.

But in the future... Use Symantec Ghost to image your system before
    installing *anything*. If you don't like the results of an installation,
    you just restore the image and all is well. It's one of the best
    butt-saving pieces of software ever written.

I'm surprised that more people aren't aware of imaging options by now.

Spender, Nov 16, 2006
  4. Richard4597

Dan Guest

Either that or a dual boot setup. That way a copy of the OS can be made then
    easily replaced when it needs it.

Dan, Nov 16, 2006
  5. Richard4597

Richard4597 Guest

I certainly know how to remove it from the add/remove programs area what i
    haven't been able to find is where I go to find the software to download IE
    version 6 I am afraid to delete the IE7 until i have loaded the IE6 back
    into my system. I couldn't seem to locate IE6 on Microsoft's website. As
    a backup I guess I can assume the sw is on one of my systems dics that HP
    gave me when i purchased this laptop 16 months ago

6. Richard4597

Bruce Hagen Guest

Bruce Hagen, Nov 16, 2006
  7. Richard4597

The Geek Guest

To Richard4597 to load i.e. 6 you must uninstall all internet explorer
    applications such as i.e 7 to do this you must (using xp) go to
    start>controlpanel>add/remove programs. Then under program list go to
    internet explorer 7 beta and uninstall it then reboot and it should load back
    to normal. and go back down to 6. more info go to richardwoodburn.tripod.com
    for more info.

The Geek, Nov 16, 2006
  8. Richard4597

Richard4597 Guest

I successfully removed IE7 and for some reason that i do not understand when
    I rebooted IE6 had replaced it and I didn't need to download anything.

9. Make sure Show Updates is marked in Add/Remove and scroll down to find
    Internet Explorer 7. After it is uninstalled, IE 6 magically appears.

Charles Allen, Nov 17, 2006
  10. Richard4597

Richard4597 Guest

Bruce

I didn't remove it, I received a Microsoft Critical update message and the
    IE7 was what they were indicating had to be added to the system. I assumed
    it would be an improvement but after loading it IE6 was gone and IE7 in my
    opinion was not very user friendly

Richard4597, Nov 17, 2006
  11. Richard4597

Bruce Hagen Guest

Just remove IE7 via Add/Remove Programs and IE6 will be back.

Bruce Hagen, Nov 17, 2006
  12. Richard4597

Star Guest

Hi Bruce, MVP

I removed IE-7 after a week. Did I have real problems w/it no.... but I was
    becoming increasingly depressed w/it. I was figuring it out for myself. I
    had problems playing a flash file a few times, I have Adobe 9 installed. I
    put the page in my trusted zone, I looked at the source code for the page,
    since some pages are blank and only insert the flash objects. I would check
    tif to see if the file was downloaded to me, put the site or page in my
    trusted zone, refresh the page and they would immediately pop oven and play
    for me.

Besides the above, which was my security settings I was OK. Pa Bear gave me
    the direct link to this ng because I posted some questions in another ng
    about IE-7. I was whining about the GUI, the toolbars, especially the
    address bar that is unmoveable.

It does system changes that are annoying too, Local Folder becomes
    *Protected OS files* & History & TIF can't be seen, didn't like that at all
    either. You must turn on *show protected OS files*.

My question though is the uninstall which you are doing or did... I
    uninstalled it!!
    This is MY question RE...UNINSTALL of IE-7. I went to IE homepage, I
    downloaded the file for myself. I installed the next day and went back to WU
    & rec'd the other PRIORITY updates for this month and the MSXML SP2 -
    KB927978.

*** Okay, I started the uninstall via CP, dialog box opens, lists the 4 most
    recent updates that I went up to get after the install, dialog box says,
    *they may not work*.... I proceed to uninstall.

***I went back to WU, I needed (or thought I needed) WU to reinstall the 4
    updates for me!!
    Windows Update offered NO updates to re-install, THAT CONCERNS ME!!

Can you pls. confirm that ALL is okay regarding the other priority/critical
    updates that Microsoft was offering this month???

Thank you, Star

Star, Nov 17, 2006
  13. « I'm surprised that more people aren't aware of imaging options by now »

Of course we, the highly knowledgeable and wise people populating these NGs, know all the backup tools and have each our own habits using a compound of Ghost, Retrospect, Drive Image, True Image, Backup Exec, to name just a few - and certainly use them constantly and wisely (I am quite sure you do).

The problem is, there are also a few other weird people who are doing something else on their PCs than maintaining and tweaking it; some even write mail, music, poetry, run a company, mount movies, watch maps, and so on,and most important, do their work. Those stupid people same way assume MS staff are accordingly doing their own work, hence they don't waste time visiting Newsgroups, and when seeing an update proposed by MS (the biggest official software company) on their MU site (the official site for Updating everything Microsoft), they will stupidly assume this update is done correctly as implicitly promised (through advertizements and pricing level) and doesn't need prior backup. Hence their disappointment when an Update doesn't work as advertized.

Buying Microsoft products and believing MS is doing what it has been paid for... Stupid people! (at least this seems to be what MS staff and "volunteers" are thinking about their users).

Paris, Sun 19 Nov 2006 18:19:20 +0100

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----
    Newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
    Sent: Thu 16 Nov 2006 16:51:54 GMT
    Subject: Re: Internet Explorer 7--Would like to remove it

But in the future... Use Symantec Ghost to image your system before installing *anything*. If you don't like the results of an installation, you just restore the image and all is well. It's one of the best butt-saving pieces of software ever written.

Newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
    Sent: Thu 16 Nov 2006 08:12:01 -0800 (16:12:01 GMT)
    Subject: Internet Explorer 7--Would like to remove it

I recently loaded IE7 into my system on Tuesday and I am seriously unhappy with how unuser friendly it is. Can someone tell me how i can find IE6 and download it back into my system. Thanks

Michel Merlin, Nov 19, 2006
  14. I find a very lot of PC/laptop users have NO idea how to backup, much
    less what a Image is.

I have a fairly busy little side business restoring systems simply
    because people don't know how to even clean cache, history, and other
    temp folders. They think the Windows Firewall will protect them from
    Virus and Malware attacks - when it doesn't they call me.
    One recent laptop job revealed 31 items in the startup tab of msconfig
    and the owner couldn't understand why the boot took over 6 minutes. 2
    graphics and 2 touchpad and 1 AV items were all that were needed - the
    rest were removed.

To talk 'image' to these people is useless!

Dr. Heywood Floyd, Nov 19, 2006
  15. Your report is just one more that matches more funny tales I heard in IT boots with incompetent staff loving lessening those they are jealous from, than any reality I could see. It only strengthens more my previous opinion: in a company, where do you put the best ones: in IT or "help desk" (sic)? or in management or development or sales?

BTW my laptop (rather mundane, with WinXP Pro, Office 2000 Pro, but with a couple big apps like encyclopedias or imaging - as everyone outside IT) has right now 37 items in MSconfig > Startup, and it starts in 1min14s (0s, start; 8s, DOS black screen; 18s, Windows black screen; 47s-58s, login; 1m14s, Windows has been running for a cpouple seconds without any more hourglass or animated cursor).

Paris, Sun 19 Nov 2006 22:00:00 +0100
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge -- Charles Darwin
    (in modern words: Arrogance more often denotes ignorance than knowledge)

Sent: Sun 19 Nov 2006 10:03:43 -0800 (18:03:43 GMT)
    Subject: Re: Stupid customers! Let's get rid of them!

I find a very lot of PC/laptop users have NO idea how to backup, much less what a Image is.

I have a fairly busy little side business restoring systems simply because people don't know how to even clean cache, history, and other temp folders. They think the Windows Firewall will protect them from Virus and Malware attacks - when it doesn't they call me. One recent laptop job revealed 31 items in the startup tab of msconfig and the owner couldn't understand why the boot took over 6 minutes. 2 graphics and 2 touchpad and 1 AV items were all that were needed - the rest were removed.

To talk 'image' to these people is useless!

Message: Sent: Sun 19 Nov 2006 18:19:20 +0100 (17:19:20 GMT)
    Subject: Stupid customers! Let's get rid of them!

« I'm surprised that more people aren't aware of imaging options by now »

Of course we, the highly knowledgeable and wise people populating these NGs, know all the backup tools and have each our own habits using a compound of Ghost, Retrospect, Drive Image, True Image, Backup Exec, to name just a few - and certainly use them constantly and wisely (I am quite sure you do).

The problem is, there are also a few other weird people who are doing something else on their PCs than maintaining and tweaking it; some even write mail, music, poetry, run a company, mount movies, watch maps, and so on,and most important, do their work. Those stupid people same way assume MS staff are accordingly doing their own work, hence they don't waste time visiting Newsgroups, and when seeing an update proposed by MS (the biggest official software company) on their MU site (the official site for Updating everything Microsoft), they will stupidly assume this update is done correctly as implicitly promised (through advertizements and pricing level) and doesn't need prior backup. Hence their disappointment when an Update doesn't work as advertized.

Buying Microsoft products and believing MS is doing what it has been paid for... Stupid people! (at least this seems to be what MS staff and "volunteers" are thinking about their users).

But in the future... Use Symantec Ghost to image your system before installing *anything*. If you don't like the results of an installation, you just restore the image and all is well. It's one of the best butt-saving pieces of software ever written.

I recently loaded IE7 into my system on Tuesday and I am seriously unhappy with how unuser friendly it is. Can someone tell me how i can find IE6 and download it back into my system. Thanks

Michel Merlin, Nov 19, 2006
  16. Richard4597

Max Burke Guest

Michel Merlin scribbled:
    My Maintenance schedule for my computers takes about 2 hours a week of my
    time( 10-15 minutes a day for daily backups) and 50 - 60 minutes a week for
    weekly housekeeping. And guess what, I can still use the computer for what I
    want to use it for while the backups and housekeeping programs are
    running....

snip the ranting....

When solving peoples computer problems the starting point to finding the
    source and cause of the problems is ALWAYS with the user and what they are
    doing [wrong].
    90% of computer problems are *IN FACT* user problems.

Max Burke, Nov 19, 2006
  17. Here as everywhere else it is apparently allowed to disparage users without reason, but not to say something on IT staff - or it is called "ranting".

« 90% of computer problems are *IN FACT* user problems »

Your opinion, fine. Mine is oppositely:

« When an user and a program don't understand each other, the program is faulty and must be changed, not the user. »

This has been my policy for decades of writing entire big applications (One example: an entire 2D-CAD system for designing high speed infrastructure layout, like TGVs and highways, from redoing entirely Fresnel theory to make Fresnel Integrals faster, more precise, on a much wider domain, hence more reliable; to designing the stickers on medias; with in the middle, a new file system, a new system for graphics I/O, all the interface and documentation, and all it takes to make a *friendly and reliable* system. Plenty similar examples in 2D and 3D CAD and modeling, numerical analysis, structural analysis, time system, ....), and has proven highly more efficient than the usual "ranting" (your word, but reverted into the accurate way) of IT persons dropping their own faults onto users.

Programs are made by humans, and have had just a few decades of evolution; humans were made by God, and have had a million years evolution; hence when humans and programs fail to understand each other, it's more reasonable IMO to decide that the program is the faulty and must be changed, than the humans. Unless for bad programmers, who find too hard to make those changes in that program, hence who need to drop the fault onto the humans.

Paris, Mon 20 Nov 2006 01:56:10 +0100

Sent: Mon 20 Nov 2006 10:26:59 +1300 (Sun 19 Nov 21:26:59 GMT)

My Maintenance schedule for my computers takes about 2 hours a week of my time( 10-15 minutes a day for daily backups) and 50 - 60 minutes a week for weekly housekeeping. And guess what, I can still use the computer for what I want to use it for while the backups and housekeeping programs are running....

snip the ranting....

When solving peoples computer problems the starting point to finding the source and cause of the problems is ALWAYS with the user and what they are doing [wrong].
    --

Replace the obvious with paradise.net to email me
    Found Images http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke

Michel Merlin, Nov 20, 2006
  18. Richard4597

Steve Guest

Wow...... and I always thought when I didn't understand a program I just
    needed to study more and try to understand it, now I know it is the
    designers fault and he needs to dumb it down for me.

Steve

Here as everywhere else it is apparently allowed to disparage users without
    reason, but not to say something on IT staff - or it is called "ranting".

« When an user and a program don't understand each other, the program is
    faulty and must be changed, not the user. »

This has been my policy for decades of writing entire big applications (One
    example: an entire 2D-CAD system for designing high speed infrastructure
    layout, like TGVs and highways, from redoing entirely Fresnel theory to make
    Fresnel Integrals faster, more precise, on a much wider domain, hence more
    reliable; to designing the stickers on medias; with in the middle, a new
    file system, a new system for graphics I/O, all the interface and
    documentation, and all it takes to make a *friendly and reliable* system.
    Plenty similar examples in 2D and 3D CAD and modeling, numerical analysis,
    structural analysis, time system, ...), and has proven highly more efficient
    than the usual "ranting" (your word, but reverted into the accurate way) of
    IT persons dropping their own faults onto users.

Programs are made by humans, and have had just a few decades of evolution;
    humans were made by God, and have had a million years evolution; hence when
    humans and programs fail to understand each other, it's more reasonable IMO
    to decide that the program is the faulty and must be changed, than the
    humans. Unless for bad programmers, who find too hard to make those changes
    in that program, hence who need to drop the fault onto the humans.

Newsgroup:
    news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

My Maintenance schedule for my computers takes about 2 hours a week of my
    time( 10-15 minutes a day for daily backups) and 50 - 60 minutes a week for
    weekly housekeeping. And guess what, I can still use the computer for what I
    want to use it for while the backups and housekeeping programs are
    running....

snip the ranting....

When solving peoples computer problems the starting point to finding the
    source and cause of the problems is ALWAYS with the user and what they are
    doing [wrong].
    --

Newsgroup:

Of course we, the highly knowledgeable and wise people populating these NGs,
    know all the backup tools and have each our own habits using a compound of
    Ghost, Retrospect, Drive Image, True Image, Backup Exec, to name just a
    few - and certainly use them constantly and wisely (I am quite sure you do).

The problem is, there are also a few other weird people who are doing
    something else on their PCs than maintaining and tweaking it; some even
    write mail, music, poetry, run a company, mount movies, watch maps, and so
    on,and most important, do their work. Those stupid people same way assume MS
    staff are accordingly doing their own work, hence they don't waste time
    visiting Newsgroups, and when seeing an update proposed by MS (the biggest
    official software company) on their MU site (the official site for Updating
    everything Microsoft), they will stupidly assume this update is done
    correctly as implicitly promised (through advertizements and pricing level)
    and doesn't need prior backup. Hence their disappointment when an Update
    doesn't work as advertized.

Buying Microsoft products and believing MS is doing what it has been paid
    for... Stupid people! (at least this seems to be what MS staff and
    "volunteers" are thinking about their users).

Newsgroup:

But in the future... Use Symantec Ghost to image your system before
    installing *anything*. If you don't like the results of an installation, you
    just restore the image and all is well. It's one of the best butt-saving
    pieces of software ever written.

Newsgroup:

I recently loaded IE7 into my system on Tuesday and I am seriously unhappy
    with how unuser friendly it is. Can someone tell me how i can find IE6 and
    download it back into my system. Thanks

Steve, Nov 20, 2006
  19. Richard4597

Max Burke Guest

Michel Merlin scribbled:
    No, what YOU posted was/is ranting.
    An opinion based on 18 year career in system and user support. What do you
    base YOUR opinion on?

The biggest complaint from users goes like this:

ANGRY phone call from a user....

*This F*&&^%$$ computer is BROKEN, my password doesn't work anymore, I've
    tried putting it in over and over again and this F&*&^^%%#$#%$ computer
    keeps saying it's WRONG!!!!!*
    *It ISN'T WRONG!!!! IT's THey SAME PASSWORD I HAVE BEEN USING FOR
    F^&^^%$$##@ YEARS!!!!!

Sysytem support first question:
    Is your CAP LOCK KEY ON?

Stunned silence from the user.
    Then in a very small quiet voice they say "Do I EVER feel stupid. I'm so
    sorry......."

Systems support:
    OK Turn OFF your caps lock key; Is It off?
    OK here is a tempoary password that you can use to log on and enter your own
    password again....

[Next call /see above]

Over 90% of system and help desk calls are users having problems with their
    password and over 90% of those password related calls are down to the user
    accidentally haveing the caps lock key on and significant percentage are
    repeat calls from the same users haveing that exact same problem time and
    time again...

Now if they can stuff something as simple as entering their password how do
    you think they get on with more complex uses of computers and the software
    that runs on said computers....
    Then YOU dont have a clue about how easy it is for users to create problems
    for themselves when using a computer and the software running on it.

snip rest

I could also mention that the way your posts are formated in this forum is
    also wrong but I wont....

;-)

Max Burke, Nov 20, 2006
  20. « I always thought when I didn't understand a program I just needed to study more and try to understand it »

This (thinking the change to be made is on self end) is, on user's side, the attitude I described (on programmer's side). I don't believe you when you claim it is yours: you posture, before thinking of anything, as being sure *your* opinion is right and *mine* is stupid, and that "designers" are necessarily smarter than average users.

BTW I have helped such "designers" too many times in years to get out of their self-created problems, to know well about this: when a category, instead of simply replying, finds offending to be criticized or compared, then they are ripe for going down in true quality. Which is the case in many programmers teams (and still worse in many IT and "Help" desk teams).

Paris, Mon 20 Nov 2006 17:54:40 +0100

Sent: Sun 19 Nov 2006 21:58:40 -0600 (Mon 20 Nov 03:58:40 GMT)
    Subject: Re: When they don't understand each other, the program has to adapt, not the user

Wow...... and I always thought when I didn't understand a program I just needed to study more and try to understand it, now I know it is the designers fault and he needs to dumb it down for me.

Steve

Sent: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 01:56:10 +0100 (Monday 20 November 2006 01:56)
    Subject: When they don't understand each other, the program has to adapt, not the user

Here as everywhere else it is apparently allowed to disparage users without reason, but not to say something on IT staff - or it is called "ranting".

« When an user and a program don't understand each other, the program is faulty and must be changed, not the user. »

This has been my policy for decades of writing entire big applications (One example: an entire 2D-CAD system for designing high speed infrastructure layout, like TGVs and highways, from redoing entirely Fresnel theory to make Fresnel Integrals faster, more precise, on a much wider domain, hence more reliable; to designing the stickers on medias; with in the middle, a new file system, a new system for graphics I/O, all the interface and documentation, and all it takes to make a *friendly and reliable* system. Plenty similar examples in 2D and 3D CAD and modeling, numerical analysis, structural analysis, time system, ....), and has proven highly more efficient than the usual "ranting" (your word, but reverted into the accurate way) of IT persons dropping their own faults onto users.

Programs are made by humans, and have had just a few decades of evolution; humans were made by God, and have had a million years evolution; hence when humans and programs fail to understand each other, it's more reasonable IMO to decide that the program is the faulty and must be changed, than the humans. Unless for bad programmers, who find too hard to make those changes in that program, hence who need to drop the fault onto the humans.

My Maintenance schedule for my computers takes about 2 hours a week of my time( 10-15 minutes a day for daily backups) and 50 - 60 minutes a week for weekly housekeeping. And guess what, I can still use the computer for what I want to use it for while the backups and housekeeping programs are running....

snip the ranting....

When solving peoples computer problems the starting point to finding the source and cause of the problems is ALWAYS with the user and what they are doing [wrong].
    --

Michel Merlin, Nov 20, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question