Is there a way to hide the webcam icon on Windows Live Messenger 2

Discussion in 'Windows MSN Messenger' started by JMayerDesign, Apr 11, 2009.

  1. JMayerDesign

    JMayerDesign Guest

    Hi. I use Windows Live Messenger 2009. Under options under "personal" it says
    "allow contacts to see that I have a webcam." However, if I uncheck that,
    apply my choice, then restart messenger, even if it is unchecked, it still
    shows contacts the webcam icon. How can I hide this without downgrading
    Windows Live Messenger?
     
    JMayerDesign, Apr 11, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Greetings,

    There's no known bug here, it works just fine for me and others (although as mentioned, you
    have to sign out and back in for it to take effect).

    May as I enquire how you know it's not working? As a guess, it's possible your contacts are
    using some other (or older, I haven't checked) client which is caching this information.

    --
    Jonathan Kay
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
    MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
    MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
    Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    (c) 2009 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
    --

    "JMayerDesign" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi. I use Windows Live Messenger 2009. Under options under "personal" it says
    > "allow contacts to see that I have a webcam." However, if I uncheck that,
    > apply my choice, then restart messenger, even if it is unchecked, it still
    > shows contacts the webcam icon. How can I hide this without downgrading
    > Windows Live Messenger?
     
    Jonathan Kay [MVP], Apr 12, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. JMayerDesign

    JMayerDesign Guest

    Re: Is there a way to hide the webcam icon on Windows Live Messeng

    Yes, as mentioned, I restart, etc. What happens is it stops displaying the
    message "you and your friend both have webcams"

    my friend has the same version, and she disabled it just like i did, but it
    still showed the webcam icon below her avatar "display picture"

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > There's no known bug here, it works just fine for me and others (although as mentioned, you
    > have to sign out and back in for it to take effect).
    >
    > May as I enquire how you know it's not working? As a guess, it's possible your contacts are
    > using some other (or older, I haven't checked) client which is caching this information.
    >
    > --
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
    > MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
    > MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
    > Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    > (c) 2009 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
    > --
    >
    > "JMayerDesign" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Hi. I use Windows Live Messenger 2009. Under options under "personal" it says
    > > "allow contacts to see that I have a webcam." However, if I uncheck that,
    > > apply my choice, then restart messenger, even if it is unchecked, it still
    > > shows contacts the webcam icon. How can I hide this without downgrading
    > > Windows Live Messenger?

    >
    >
    >
     
    JMayerDesign, Apr 12, 2009
    #3
  4. JMayerDesign

    Supa Chiney Guest

    Re: Is there a way to hide the webcam icon on Windows Live Messeng

    Same happens to everyone that i know, and now its happening to me..... i have
    it unchecked and people can still see that i have a webcam..

    "JMayerDesign" wrote:

    > Yes, as mentioned, I restart, etc. What happens is it stops displaying the
    > message "you and your friend both have webcams"
    >
    > my friend has the same version, and she disabled it just like i did, but it
    > still showed the webcam icon below her avatar "display picture"
    >
    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > Greetings,
    > >
    > > There's no known bug here, it works just fine for me and others (although as mentioned, you
    > > have to sign out and back in for it to take effect).
    > >
    > > May as I enquire how you know it's not working? As a guess, it's possible your contacts are
    > > using some other (or older, I haven't checked) client which is caching this information.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jonathan Kay
    > > Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
    > > MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
    > > MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
    > > Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    > > (c) 2009 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
    > > --
    > >
    > > "JMayerDesign" <> wrote in message
    > > news:...
    > > > Hi. I use Windows Live Messenger 2009. Under options under "personal" it says
    > > > "allow contacts to see that I have a webcam." However, if I uncheck that,
    > > > apply my choice, then restart messenger, even if it is unchecked, it still
    > > > shows contacts the webcam icon. How can I hide this without downgrading
    > > > Windows Live Messenger?

    > >
    > >
    > >
     
    Supa Chiney, Apr 25, 2009
    #4
  5. JMayerDesign

    JMayerDesign Guest

    Re: Is there a way to hide the webcam icon on Windows Live Messeng

    microsoft duplicated this problem and told me the only workaround is if i
    have a webcam that is external, then i can unplug it.. so there is not a
    solution until the next release of windows live messenger i guess.

    "Supa Chiney" wrote:

    > Same happens to everyone that i know, and now its happening to me..... i have
    > it unchecked and people can still see that i have a webcam..
    >
    > "JMayerDesign" wrote:
    >
    > > Yes, as mentioned, I restart, etc. What happens is it stops displaying the
    > > message "you and your friend both have webcams"
    > >
    > > my friend has the same version, and she disabled it just like i did, but it
    > > still showed the webcam icon below her avatar "display picture"
    > >
    > > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Greetings,
    > > >
    > > > There's no known bug here, it works just fine for me and others (although as mentioned, you
    > > > have to sign out and back in for it to take effect).
    > > >
    > > > May as I enquire how you know it's not working? As a guess, it's possible your contacts are
    > > > using some other (or older, I haven't checked) client which is caching this information.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Jonathan Kay
    > > > Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
    > > > MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
    > > > MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
    > > > Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    > > > (c) 2009 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
    > > > --
    > > >
    > > > "JMayerDesign" <> wrote in message
    > > > news:...
    > > > > Hi. I use Windows Live Messenger 2009. Under options under "personal" it says
    > > > > "allow contacts to see that I have a webcam." However, if I uncheck that,
    > > > > apply my choice, then restart messenger, even if it is unchecked, it still
    > > > > shows contacts the webcam icon. How can I hide this without downgrading
    > > > > Windows Live Messenger?
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
     
    JMayerDesign, Apr 25, 2009
    #5
  6. JMayerDesign

    Jsucool76 Guest

    Re: Is there a way to hide the webcam icon on Windows Live Messeng

    if it as internal webcam u can go to the device manager under imaging devices
    and "disable" the device, u might have to restart ur computer but it should
    fix the problem :D

    "JMayerDesign" wrote:

    >
    > microsoft duplicated this problem and told me the only workaround is if i
    > have a webcam that is external, then i can unplug it.. so there is not a
    > solution until the next release of windows live messenger i guess.
    >
    > "Supa Chiney" wrote:
    >
    > > Same happens to everyone that i know, and now its happening to me..... i have
    > > it unchecked and people can still see that i have a webcam..
    > >
    > > "JMayerDesign" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Yes, as mentioned, I restart, etc. What happens is it stops displaying the
    > > > message "you and your friend both have webcams"
    > > >
    > > > my friend has the same version, and she disabled it just like i did, but it
    > > > still showed the webcam icon below her avatar "display picture"
    > > >
    > > > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > Greetings,
    > > > >
    > > > > There's no known bug here, it works just fine for me and others (although as mentioned, you
    > > > > have to sign out and back in for it to take effect).
    > > > >
    > > > > May as I enquire how you know it's not working? As a guess, it's possible your contacts are
    > > > > using some other (or older, I haven't checked) client which is caching this information.
    > > > >
    > > > > --
    > > > > Jonathan Kay
    > > > > Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
    > > > > MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
    > > > > MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
    > > > > Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    > > > > (c) 2009 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
    > > > > --
    > > > >
    > > > > "JMayerDesign" <> wrote in message
    > > > > news:...
    > > > > > Hi. I use Windows Live Messenger 2009. Under options under "personal" it says
    > > > > > "allow contacts to see that I have a webcam." However, if I uncheck that,
    > > > > > apply my choice, then restart messenger, even if it is unchecked, it still
    > > > > > shows contacts the webcam icon. How can I hide this without downgrading
    > > > > > Windows Live Messenger?
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
     
    Jsucool76, May 21, 2009
    #6
  7. JMayerDesign

    Victor Guest

    its really easy..in messenger 2009 go to:

    tools
    audio and video setup
    click next to go video setup
    under webcam dropdown menu select "disable"
    done!

    if you want to use your camera again just go back and select your camera
    from the drop down menu...no need to restart your computer!!! :)

    I know this is different than what you are used to in messenger 8.5....in my
    opinion Microsoft drop the ball on this feature...hope this help!



    "JMayerDesign" wrote:

    > Hi. I use Windows Live Messenger 2009. Under options under "personal" it says
    > "allow contacts to see that I have a webcam." However, if I uncheck that,
    > apply my choice, then restart messenger, even if it is unchecked, it still
    > shows contacts the webcam icon. How can I hide this without downgrading
    > Windows Live Messenger?
     
    Victor, Jun 13, 2009
    #7
  8. Re: Is there a way to hide the webcam icon on Windows Live Messeng

    Dear Mr. Kay,

    You must be using a super version of either windows, a super webcam from
    microsoft or windows live messenger that we do not know of. Everybody is
    having this problem and it is not a cache problem or some kind of
    incompatibility between different versions of messenger...

    Here is my configuration:
    Windows XP Professional SP3
    Windows Live Messenger
    Logitech WebCam Pro 9000

    Your Check Mark Do not Show others that you have a Webcam DOES NOT
    WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ---

    Rommel Jimenez, MCP, MCSA, MCSE 2003, Security+, A+ .....

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > There's no known bug here, it works just fine for me and others (although as mentioned, you
    > have to sign out and back in for it to take effect).
    >
    > May as I enquire how you know it's not working? As a guess, it's possible your contacts are
    > using some other (or older, I haven't checked) client which is caching this information.
    >
    > --
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
    > MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
    > MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
    > Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    > (c) 2009 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
    > --
    >
    > "JMayerDesign" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Hi. I use Windows Live Messenger 2009. Under options under "personal" it says
    > > "allow contacts to see that I have a webcam." However, if I uncheck that,
    > > apply my choice, then restart messenger, even if it is unchecked, it still
    > > shows contacts the webcam icon. How can I hide this without downgrading
    > > Windows Live Messenger?

    >
    >
    >
     
    Rommel J. Jimenez, Sep 25, 2009
    #8
  9. JMayerDesign

    MalW

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Just a warning - I did this in XP because I had no webcam, later updated to Messenger 11, then got a webcam but cannot enable it! Microsoft are unable to help at this time, even though it is their webcam. Looks like I will have to uninstall 11, reinstall 9, recheck the box, uninstall 9, reinstall 11......maybe.....:(
     
    MalW, Jan 5, 2011
    #9
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
  1. Magnu

    Is there a way to "auto-hide" the gadget sidebar?

    Magnu, Feb 11, 2007, in forum: Windows Vista General Discussion
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    490
    johnm
    Feb 11, 2007
  2. Imageman

    Is there a simple way to hide a hard drive?

    Imageman, Dec 6, 2007, in forum: Windows Vista General Discussion
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    634
    Camper
    Jun 10, 2009
  3. Firas

    Is there a way to hide one tab from a property page

    Firas, Apr 10, 2008, in forum: Windows Vista Drivers
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    556
    Firas
    Apr 10, 2008
  4. Firas

    Is there a way to hide one tab from a property page

    Firas, Apr 10, 2008, in forum: Windows Vista Drivers
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    422
    Firas
    Apr 10, 2008
  5. Firas

    Is there a way to hide one tab from a property page

    Firas, Apr 10, 2008, in forum: Windows Vista Drivers
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    375
    Firas
    Apr 10, 2008
  6. Rob Smith

    hide/delete Live Messenger taskbar icon?

    Rob Smith, Mar 28, 2007, in forum: Windows Live Messenger
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    511
    Jonathan Kay [MVP]
    Mar 29, 2007
  7. Thom Riley
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    258
    Thom Riley
    Aug 25, 2006
  8. ed

    Is there a way to hide these?

    ed, Jun 22, 2010, in forum: Active Directory
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    508
    Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]
    Jun 22, 2010
Loading...