KB835732 PROBLEM SOLVED FOR REAL!!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Update' started by Dan, May 10, 2004.

1. Dan

Dan Guest

Ok, folks, finally put a lot of gathered information together and successfully solved the problem with KB835732 repeatedly needing to be installed (at least on my machine). Please note, however, that this may not fix everyone's dilemma with this problem

I believe this problem has a lot to do with the way Windows Update checks for the existence of the updated files that KB835732 installs on the system rather that a problem with the update itself. By gathering information throughout the newsgroup, I finally came up with a hypothesis, and what ultimately resolved this situation for me was copying the entire netmeeting folder from my system drive (C:) to my secondary drive (D:) where I set my Program Files folder to be. The result would be two identical folders with identical contents at paths C:\program files\netmeeting\ and D:\program files\netmeeting. After doing so, the update no longer comes up in Windows Update as needed to be installed

Here's my theory to why this fix works and what the problem is with the way the Windows Update checks for the existence of KB835732. First, my C: drive is my system drive. By default, I think the update installs itself to the system drive and not my secondary programs drive (the drive for the Program Files directory). What happens is that the when Windows Update searches for the existence of the updated files in the Netmeeting folder, it's set to look for files in the Program Files directory as indicated by the system. If I remember correctly, Netmeeting is installed automatically when Windows is installed. During this time, the default Program Files drive is the system drive (in my case C:) until you change it (like I did - I changed it to D:), so the initial installation of Netymeeting is set to install to the original Program Files drive (the one Windows is installed on)

That's all well and good until you try to do the Windows Update and it searches in the current Program Files diretcory. Obviously, it finds nothing so it needs you to install KB835732. The kicker is that it updates to whatever directory the system tells the update program that netmeeting is currently installed to. Therefore the problem lies in the fact that the system does not look on the drive where Netmeeting is installed, but rather in the current Program Files directory. If this is hard to follow, I'll illustrated this with a chart below that outlines what is looked for by what and when using my particular example..

EVENT Current PF Directory Directory Looked At/Checked Directory installed t

Initial Windows Installation C: N/A C
    Netmeeting Installation C: N/A C: (current PF dir
    Change Default Drive Letter to D: D: N/A N/
    Windows Update Initial Check for NM D: D: (current PF dir) N/
    KB835732 Installation D: N/A C: (existing NM location
    Updated Netmeeting Directory D: C: (same as orig. NM dir) N/
    Further Windows Update Checks D: D: N/
    Further KB835732 Installations D: N/A C: (existing NM location

In summary, the KB835732 installation installs to the directory where Netmeeting is installed, but Windows Update looks for the updated files in the current Program Files drive. If the two don't match, then the problem arises. Again, the solution is to copy the Netmeeting directory into the Program Files folder indicated in the registry as the current path for the Program Files folder. To see what drive you have as the current drive for the Program Files folder, open the Windows registry (Start -> Run... -> regedit) and navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version and look for the string value called ProgramFilesDir. The value should list the path of the Program Files directory including the drive letter. If the Netmeeting folder is not the same as this, then there's most likely the problem. If they're the same, then there might be some other bug with the update that's the problem

As a poll, who here has multiple drives? And of those people, who changed their drive letter to something different after Windows was installed?

Hope this helps some of you. Good luck. Let me know if you have further questions.

Dan, May 10, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. Dan

Coolink Guest

I have this problem, but I uninstalled netmeeting. What can I do now??

Coolink, May 10, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. scan for critical upadates
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.co
    before you consider Dans fix..
    not everybody is having this proble

Dan, i think you are closer to understanding this issue(worm/BUG!
    more than most, but..
    worms are corrupting probley one? .dl in your netmeeting folde
    preventing the clean install of your updat
    concentrate on getting rid of the worm
    Peace<>
    Started updating May
    My PC has not crashed in 2 days

mike todd smith, May 10, 2004
  4. Dan

Dan Guest

Coolink

You can still perform the steps I outlined in my original post without a problem. Keep in mind that uninstalling Netmeeting does not remove the netmeeting folder or it's files. They are kept there in the event that you reinstall it later down the road. Since the files still exist, Windows Update still updates them. Therefore, assuming you have multiple drives like I do, my solution may still work for you. Give it a try. It can't hurt to do it. Only thing that may come of doing my solution if it doesn't work is that you will have consumed < 3 megs of hard drive space.

Dan, May 10, 2004
  5. Dan

Dan Guest

My system is free of worms/viruses/etc. so the problem is not with that. The problem is with the implementation of checkig of the update. It's a problem on MS's end for not exploring this facet of all possible installation environments. keep in mind that there are two know issues with this update, one being the bug with the update, and the other being some of the new worms and stuff going around lately. Though the problem with the updates comstantly needing to be installed is not because of any worm, but because of the situation outlined in my original post. I can confirm this because during my time experimenting and exploring all avenues of a possible solution, I got a copy of a friend's entire netmeeting directory and replaced mine with his. He had successful installed the KB835732 update prior to this and had no further issues. The issue still remained, however.

Dan, May 10, 2004
  6. Dan

Niked Guest

Dan - I get the same problem and can see from the add/remove programs list
    that it has been installed. So, I choose "no" when autoupdate asks whether I
    want to install it...

successfully solved the problem with KB835732 repeatedly needing to be
    installed (at least on my machine). Please note, however, that this may not
    fix everyone's dilemma with this problem.
    for the existence of the updated files that KB835732 installs on the system
    rather that a problem with the update itself. By gathering information
    throughout the newsgroup, I finally came up with a hypothesis, and what
    ultimately resolved this situation for me was copying the entire netmeeting
    folder from my system drive (C:) to my secondary drive (D:) where I set my
    Program Files folder to be. The result would be two identical folders with
    identical contents at paths C:\program files\netmeeting\ and D:\program
    files\netmeeting. After doing so, the update no longer comes up in Windows
    Update as needed to be installed.
    way the Windows Update checks for the existence of KB835732. First, my C:
    drive is my system drive. By default, I think the update installs itself to
    the system drive and not my secondary programs drive (the drive for the
    Program Files directory). What happens is that the when Windows Update
    searches for the existence of the updated files in the Netmeeting folder,
    it's set to look for files in the Program Files directory as indicated by
    the system. If I remember correctly, Netmeeting is installed automatically
    when Windows is installed. During this time, the default Program Files
    drive is the system drive (in my case C:) until you change it (like I did -
    I changed it to D:), so the initial installation of Netymeeting is set to
    install to the original Program Files drive (the one Windows is installed
    on).
    searches in the current Program Files diretcory. Obviously, it finds
    nothing so it needs you to install KB835732. The kicker is that it updates
    to whatever directory the system tells the update program that netmeeting is
    currently installed to. Therefore the problem lies in the fact that the
    system does not look on the drive where Netmeeting is installed, but rather
    in the current Program Files directory. If this is hard to follow, I'll
    illustrated this with a chart below that outlines what is looked for by what
    and when using my particular example...
    Directory Looked At/Checked Directory installed to
    N/A C:
    N/A C: (current PF dir)
    N/A N/A
    D: (current PF dir) N/A
    N/A C: (existing NM location)
    C: (same as orig. NM dir) N/A
    D: N/A
    N/A C: (existing NM location)
    Netmeeting is installed, but Windows Update looks for the updated files in
    the current Program Files drive. If the two don't match, then the problem
    arises. Again, the solution is to copy the Netmeeting directory into the
    Program Files folder indicated in the registry as the current path for the
    Program Files folder. To see what drive you have as the current drive for
    the Program Files folder, open the Windows registry (Start -> Run... ->
    regedit) and navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version and
    look for the string value called ProgramFilesDir. The value should list the
    path of the Program Files directory including the drive letter. If the
    Netmeeting folder is not the same as this, then there's most likely the
    problem. If they're the same, then there might be some other bug with the
    update that's the problem.
    their drive letter to something different after Windows was installed?
    questions.

Niked, May 11, 2004
  7. Dan

Dan Guest

Niked

If you're sufferring from the same symptoms as I was and for the same reasons, the update will always show up as installed. It was the same way on my machine. The first time Windows Update indicates that the update was installed successfully, the update is installed for real. Issues that are supposed to resolved by the patch are now resolved. The problem with the update indicated on Windows Update needing to be installed is because of the careless way Windows Update searches for the patch's existence

My question to you is this....how many hard drives do you have on your system? If you have multiple drives, try mirroring the netmeeting folder from your current Program Files directory to the same path on different drives. See my original post on this thread for my particular example. In a nutshell, if your netmeeting folder path is C:\Program Files\netmeeting\ and you have another hard drive with drive letter X:, then you should copy the netmeeting folder to X:\Program Files\ (including the contents). Then you'll have a copy of your original netmeeting folder on the X: drive with the following path X:\Program Files\netmeeting\

Let me know how this works out for you.

Dan, May 11, 2004
  8. Dan

Daniel Guest

I could solve the problem with copying the netmeeting folder to my program files folder which is in d:\ and not in c:\program files...

Daniel, May 13, 2004
  9. Dan

Kojow Guest

OK, this is kind of strange. I do have a program files folder on my F: drive that I install new programs to. I copied my Netmeeting folder over and walla, the problem is fixed. The only weird thing is that I never changed the default Program Files in my registry. My registry still points to C:\Program Files !!

Anyhow, thanks for the makeshift fix, it definately worked! :)

Kojow, May 26, 2004
  10. Dan

m3th4d0n Guest

i only have 1 drive...any suggestions as to what to do?
    thanks
    mike

m3th4d0n, Jun 9, 2004
  11. Dan

Geko Guest

I have two computers that are getting the repeated KB835732 update and two that are not. I noticed that on the two without the problem, the NetMeeting folder contains its files. The two with the problem, the NetMeeting folder is empty. I probably went into safe mode on those two computers at some time and deleted the NetMeeting folder. My computers all have Programs Files set to the default C: drive.

Not really wanting all those NetMeeting files, I recalled a post by Lucy (from MS) in another thread. She asked about three DLL files and where they were installed.

callcont.dll
    mst120.dll
    nmcom.dll

Turns out these DLL files are all in the NetMeeting folder. So I copied just these three DLL's to my empty NetMeeting folder and bingo, that fixed it. Windows update no longer bugs be about installing KB835732. With just these three files, my NetMeeting folder is only 676 KB instead of 3 MB.

Geko, Jun 10, 2004
  12. Dan

deth.K10 Guest

Hi. This may or may not be helpful but I finally got my system to stop installing that bad boy. I was willing to believe the whole C:\ vs. D:\ thing but I verified all the files were current one by one. Short answer: what worked for me was I downloaded the exe for that update (who knows if that helped vs. online install?), uninstalled it from Add/Remove Programs, and I think what did it was wiping out what I could from c:\windows\system32\CatRoot and CatRoot2. I'd read that in some other post in regards to another error. I restarted, reinstalled the update from the exe, ran Windows Update again and got a new one that took a good 20 minutes to install, which seemed excessive for an 864KB file but what do I know? End result is that Windows Update says I'm current.

I may have exaggerated when I said "short answer."

I'm on XP, by the way. My only theory that ties to the C:\ vs. D:\ is that that probably means both our computers have been around a while and there just may be some old cat files confusing it. Like, this C: had Windows 98® in it before. Then D: got Win2K® Pro. Then back to C: for XP. Anyway, the end. Hope that helps, though I will likely never know unless my computer forces me back here. :)

deth.K10, Jun 11, 2004
  13. Dan

Jeff Guest

Copying the three files you listed into my NetMeeting folder, located in my Progams Folder on "G: drive" worked for me also. Thanks.

Jeff, Jun 16, 2004
  14. Dan

TarHeelGuy Guest

Dan,

I also have a non-standard Program Files location. Your fix worked perfectly. Great detective work. Many thanks.

TarHeelGuy, Jun 24, 2004
  15. Dan

Les Guest

Geko's smaller fix worked for me too. I had also relocated the Program Files folder, in my case from C: to P: , and I had removed NetMeeting.

Windows Update insisted on doing one final reinstall of KB835732 after I had copied the three files, but after that it was happy. Thanks guys!

-Les.

Les, Jul 18, 2004
  16. Dan

JohnK324 Guest

Dan, I registered to this site to say thanks. I came across this using
    google. I partitioned my hard drive to dedicated 10 gigs to Windows XP (C
    drive) and everything else including Program Files on (D drive). I had an
    empty NetMeeting file in D drive. I copied all contents of NetMeeting on
    C:\Program Files to D:\Program files. I left it like that, although I don't
    use it I don't think it hurts to have two copies of Net Meeting.

JohnK324, Aug 11, 2004
  17. Dan

JohnK324 Guest

Oh, and one more thing. I should have been figured this out because I had
    Windows Media Player updates doing the same thing. I fould it was not loaded
    in the D:\Program Files folder.

JohnK324, Aug 11, 2004
  18. Dan

sethron Guest

Dan,
    Bless you.

sethron, Aug 14, 2004
  19. Dan

Herring Guest

Thank you Geko.
    This problem has been driving me nuts.
    I found the dll files at http://www.dictacomm.com/Win_Dll/Default.htm
    Unzipped them, copied them into the (empty) Netmeeting folder on my C: Drive
    and rebooted. Just to be sure I went to the Windows update page and no
    updates where found.
    PS
    Four out of five doctors recommend another doctor.

Herring, Aug 14, 2004
  20. Dan

~*DOLL*~ Guest

Thanks, Herring!
    Your suggestion was the ONLY thing that worked for me. I read Dan's answer,
    but it didn't help because I only have ONE drive -- C: ...My netmeeting
    folder was completely empty, and I realized the update couldn't understand
    this. So I downloaded the 3 DLL files you listed and plopped them into the
    folder. Sure enough, Windows Update FINALLY left me alone and stopped asking
    me to repeatedly install KB835732. WooHoo!!

THANKS AGAIN
    :-]

~*DOLL*~, Aug 18, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question