Networking Different Operating Systems

Discussion in 'Windows Media Center' started by Christine, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Christine

Christine Guest

My buddy is trying to use a "network cable ((rj-45))" to connect his old system running windows 98se to his new system running windows XP ""JUST"" so that he can transfer his files and personal data onto his new computer and than hes selling his old system (therefore not needing a network anymore, lol) he only has 1 network card on each computer and wants to use the files and settings transfer wizard.. I said that u cant network for file sharing and transfering a 98 and an XP u have to get a serial transfer cable or direct connect parallel cable. Is this true, or CAN he create the kind of network for transferring everything he wants from his old computer to his new one simply with a "straight thru" network cable. would he maybe be able to do it with a crossover cable and ipx/spx and files and printer sharing protocols in network configuration. ????? help i dont want to misinform him.

Christine, Jul 20, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. To connect them directly to one another, you will need a "straight thru"
    (as you call it) cable. What I would recommend doing is connecting the
    two through a router. Then you can set them both to the same workgroup
    and use shared folders or you can use FTP by IP address. Both ways
    would work just fine. There is also the parallel cable option that is
    easy to configure using the new connection wizard.

Nathan McNulty, Jul 20, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. Christine

Bob [MVP] Guest

To connect them directly to one another, you will need a "straight thru"
    WRONG!... To connect them directly together you need to use
    a CROSSOVER network cable.

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/diagram/crossover.asp

--
    -Bob

windows XP ""JUST"" so that he can transfer his files and personal data onto his new computer and than hes selling his old system
    (therefore not needing a network anymore, lol) he only has 1 network card on each computer and wants to use the files and settings
    transfer wizard.. I said that u cant network for file sharing and transfering a 98 and an XP u have to get a serial transfer cable
    or direct connect parallel cable. Is this true, or CAN he create the kind of network for transferring everything he wants from his
    old computer to his new one simply with a "straight thru" network cable. would he maybe be able to do it with a crossover cable and
    ipx/spx and files and printer sharing protocols in network configuration. ????? help i dont want to misinform him.

Bob [MVP], Jul 20, 2004
  4. Actually, to connect two PCs together, you'd use a "crossover cable". If you
    have a switch or router in the middle, then you use two "straight-thru"
    cables.

If no router, then make sure you hard-code two different IP addresses in the
    two PCs. The first three groups should be the same (i.e. 192.168.1) on both,
    and use the subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

Dana Cline - MVP

system running windows 98se to his new system running windows XP ""JUST""
    so that he can transfer his files and personal data onto his new computer
    and than hes selling his old system (therefore not needing a network
    anymore, lol) he only has 1 network card on each computer and wants to use
    the files and settings transfer wizard.. I said that u cant network for file
    sharing and transfering a 98 and an XP u have to get a serial transfer cable
    or direct connect parallel cable. Is this true, or CAN he create the kind of
    network for transferring everything he wants from his old computer to his
    new one simply with a "straight thru" network cable. would he maybe be able
    to do it with a crossover cable and ipx/spx and files and printer sharing
    protocols in network configuration. ????? help i dont want to misinform him.

Dana Cline - MVP, Jul 20, 2004
  5. Gotcha, I've never tried connecting two computers directly through an
    ethernet connection. I've either used a router to send and recieve files
    or I use my BlueTooth Networks.

For some reason I flip flopped the two :)

Nathan McNulty, Jul 20, 2004
  6. Christine

John Murray Guest

It might be quicker (and easier) to just take the drive out of the old machine and add it to the new one on a spare IDE channel. If you don't have a cable for this, you can always unplug the CD/DVD drive temporarily.
    Boot the new machine up and copy the files over directly in minutes.
    Then you can put the old drive back in the old PC.

John Murray, Jul 22, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question