Print Proxy or Print Relay server

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Peter, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Peter

Peter Guest

Hi,

Of course it’s possible to print through a print server to a network
    attached printer, but is it possible to print to the same printer but through
    two print servers? I mean, the user maps a printer to server_1, which in
    turn has been connected to print server_2 which has the queue to the network
    attached printer. We need this solution to print from HQ to Branches through
    the DMZ. All Users are mapping only one print server in the DMZ, this servers
    send the print jobs to the print servers in the branches.
    What we need is actually a kind of printer proxy or print relay server.

Thanks in advance,
    Regards,
    Peter

Peter, Jan 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Peter

David Gould Guest

Try setting up Internet Printing on the print server that spools jobs - preferably the one on the same LAN as the printer.

Then from your remote site, configure your print server to connect via HTTP/IPP (e.g. http://print-server/printer-name) and it should all work.

Note: as it's difficult unless you know how, excuse me if I state the obvious, Internet Printing is part of IIS. You need to install it as part of the "Application Server" suite.

This then means that the way jobs get spooled is slightly different, speeding up the user who would otherwise site for 1/2 hour waiting for the print job to traverse sites. It also means that your jobs run over TCP and not UDP (as with Windows SAMBA Print sharing) so if one of your offices has a DSL link to the Internet, it doesn't suffer as badly.

If you haven't guessed already, it was a painful experience working out how to fix this! I hope this discovery can be as much use to you as it is to us.

EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

David Gould, Jan 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question