Problems with Windows Live Mail.......

Discussion in 'Windows Live Mail' started by ycamraph, May 27, 2009.

1. ycamraph

ycamraph Guest

I recently bought a new computer and downloaded and installed Windows Live
    Mail. Everything seemed to go ok as I set up my pop email account. I had
    Windows Live Mail on my other computer under xp so I am somewhat familiar
    with it.

After I downloaded my email and soon found out I could not open any of them.
    When I clicked on the email it would open with just the subject line but no
    email content or text. I could see the attachments but they would not open in
    the email. Even just plain text does not show up at all. I can send email
    with attachments with no problems.

I have a brand new computer with windows Vista 64 bit. It came with IE 8
    already installed with both the 32bit and 64bit versions. Windows Mail was
    already on the system and seems to have been overwritten when I installed
    Windows Live Mail.

Anybody knows whats going on and is there a fix for this?

ycamraph, May 27, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. ycamraph

Betty Guest

I have same symptoms as ycamraph, however the .eml files in my storage folder
    are not viewable either.

When i open each one, the address and subject line is correct, the space
    below the subject line is empty and the pointer is changed to hourglass...
    forever

Betty

XP sp3 , IE8, WLM 14.0.8064.0206

Betty, May 28, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. ycamraph

Peter.R Guest

Assuming you mean the .eml files within Message Store Folder at C:\Documents
    and Settings\[UserName]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
    Live Mail...

This symptom would either indicate corrupt e-mails, or WLMail is not working
    properly, thus failing to open them.

Try opening such an e-mail in Outlook Express:

Right-click e-mail->Open With...->Outlook Express [select]->[ ] Always use
    the selected program to open this kind of file [uncheck]->OK [button]

If it opens okay in OE, then the e-mail is not corrupt. If it fails to open
    in OE, then the e-mail is corrupt.

If you confirm that the e-mail files are corrupt, you can replace the
    Message Store as I described in my previous post. However, do not import from
    the old Message Store. Re-import your messages from OE or a backup.

If the problem is with WLMail, then try a Repair Install of Windows Live
    Essentials.

--
    Cheers,
    Peter.R
    (Windows Vista Home Premium with Windows Live Mail 2009 14.0.8064.0206)
    "There are more things in Heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in
    your philosophy." - Shakespeare

Peter.R, May 29, 2009
  4. ycamraph

tom brown Guest

REMOVE IE8 and install IE7 I had similar problems with IE8

tom brown, May 29, 2009
  5. Gary VanderMolen, May 29, 2009
  6. ycamraph

oggycy

Hopefully problem solved

I have to thank Peter R for pointing me in the right direction.

I too had live mail database corruption, albeit on Windows 7. Symptoms included Header apparently associated with a completely different message, or even “message not found”. Another symptom was that on “send/receive” a message would appear for a split second in the Inbox and then disappear. Sometimes I got a glimpse of a word or two and searched the whole computer but never found anything.

It was almost as if I had a message rule set up to do some sort of automatic deletion – but I hadn’t. Live Mail would say “4 new messages” but only 3 would be there.

So Live Mail was sucking the message from the server, tantalising me with the briefest glimpse and then chucking them overboard.

What did I do? After a lot of googling I tried uninstalling/reinstalling Live Mail. No good. I tried repair. No good. Then I found this gem of a post by Peter R.

Firstly I went through every email on every folder to identify those where the header didn’t match the message and deleted them (with fingers crossed that the internal database wouldn’t get even more corrupt). Fortunately I hadn’t lost anything important. This was a very tedious task that took about 2 hours to find the relatively few problems. But I wanted to feel sure.

I then exported (File – Export – Messages) all email folders and accounts and closed Live Mail.

I then followed Peter R’s advice to rename the “Windows Live Mail” to “Windows Live Mail (old).

I started Live Mail and lo and behold there were just three folders (I think) under “Storage Folders” – Sent, Drafts, Deleted (I could be misremembering here).

So at last, a clean environment. So then I imported the email folders and discovered to my horror that new corruptions appeared.

Earlier, whilst googling for help, I’d read somewhere that importing folders may not be a good idea. So, somewhat clutching at straws, I closed Live Mail and renamed my new “Windows Live Mail” to “Windows Live Mail (old 2)”.

I started Live Mail and again it was virgin territory.

But this time I manually recreated all the folders and from the exported emails dragged the relevant emails into their respective folder. As you can imagine this was a tiresome exercise, especially as the exported messages were sometimes not obviously associated with a folder, so I had to open a few to see where that group of emails should go.

But it seems that for now all is OK. In order to protect against any more Inbox messages being deleted at whim I have for the time being set “Leave a copy of message on server” (Advanced tab under accounts). (Before I started the clean up I’d already done this and proved that even though Live Mail was discarding a message at the Inbox the message was still on the server).

I can access the server emails directly through the internet, and I know that at some stage I will have another tedious exercise in reconciling my Live Mail Inbox with the server, but for now I’d rather be careful.

Fingers crossed that I’ve solved the problem thanks to Peter R.

Update. After a couple of days it seems that my new folders are holding up OK. I was still getting the occasional message disappearing as soon as it hit the Inbox. I discovered why. I had Live Mail set to automatically delete Junk. This option can be found at File-Options-Safety Options "Options" tab. I assume that this was the default setting when I reinstalled Live Mail. It could have been the setting when I started this exercise, I'd never discovered it before, so that's probably what was happening to my missing Inbox stuff. However there is no doubt that I had database corruption among the storage folders.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    oggycy, Aug 29, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question