RAID 1 Setup /Vista Installating Hangs

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Support' started by Sheepdisease, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

Hello, I decided to start from scratch.

I have backed everything up. I managed to set up RAID 1 using two of the drives using the Intel RAID controller. I set up two partitions (Windows and Documents). I configured the Windows drive as a primary partition.

When I try to install Windows Vista Home Premium edition, it hangs after the computer restarts for the second phase of installation.

Could someone please suggest what I must do to resolve this problem? Also, should I configure my drives as RAID or AHCI?

Sheepdisease, Oct 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Sheepdisease

Ian Administrator

Did you need to load any RAID drivers during the initial stages of the Vista setup, or did it detect them automatically?

Ian, Oct 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

Hello Admin, thank you for your prompt response.

During the initial stages of Vista setup, there was no need to load any RAID drivers as they were automatically detected.

4. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

I just flashed the BIOS with the latest version, then deleted the partitions created by Acronis. I then deleted the RAID 1 setup and recreated it. THen went through Windows Vista installation setup. Got to the part where you choose where you want to install Windows and picked the unformatted C: drive. This went well, then I got to phase two (Installing Windows) again, when it hung once more.

I just don't know what to do!

5. Sheepdisease

Ian Administrator

Which motherboard do you have?

During the setup stages there should be a point where it asks if you have any drivers (SATA/RAID etc...) for your drives. It might be worth downloading them and pointing the setup to the correct ones, as it might be incorrectly detecting them during installation.

Also, some motherboards have compatibility settings for SATA connections in the BIOS - does yours havea anything like this?

Ian, Oct 21, 2008
  6. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

Asus P5K-E/Wifi-AP Motherboard (Socket 775).

There is a stage when I can point to drivers if I need to, but at that stage the drives connected in RAID 1 configuration appear as one drive, ready to take on an OS.

I've had a fairly good look through, but I cannot find the drivers for the Intel RAID controller in that list.

Compatability settings? I can choose whether the drives are IDE, RAID or AHCP(orwhateverthelastoptionis). Perhaps you could be a little more specific.

7. Sheepdisease

Ian Administrator

As it happens I have that exact same board (but no RAID setup on it). In this case it should just be the RAID option in the bios, and the drivers required should be on your driver CD (ICH9R). I might be barking up the wrong tree here as Vista can already see the drives, but I suspect that manually providing the drivers on the CD that came with the motherboard might help.

Ian, Oct 22, 2008
  8. Sheepdisease

Ian Administrator

I've just done a google to see if I can find the drivers on the Asus site, and found this in the FAQ:

http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.asp...9357C9E03&model=P5K-E/WIFI-AP&SLanguage=en-us

Ian, Oct 22, 2008
  9. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

If this works I will love you forever!

Sheepdisease, Oct 22, 2008
  10. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

Oh dear, I don't have a floppy disk drive or floppy disks.

11. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

Please, what can I do to resolve this problem? There must be an alternative download containing the extracted archive so that these files can be put onto a flash drive or CD/DVD?

12. Sheepdisease

Ian Administrator

Ian, Oct 22, 2008
  13. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

Hello, thank you for the link. I read through, tried to use the program with the bootable floppy drive extractor and although I found the flash drive, the program goes through all the motions and warns that it will delete all the data on the drive and then when I click 'OK' the progress bar goes all the way through but when I check nothing appears on the flash drive.

Sheepdisease, Oct 23, 2008
  14. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

Ah, I ran the boot2disk program as an administrator and it worked!

15. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

So I managed to get the drivers onto the disk and when I get to choose any drivers that need to be loaded prior to installation, I scan and it finds the correct drivers on the drive straight away.

When I try to use the HDD, I get the following message, "The installation was canceled. Any changes that were made to your computer during the installation process will not be saved" and "Install Windows: Windows could not determine if this computer contains a valid system volume".

16. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

Ahah! I made sure that I had a valid hard drive in the boot sequence in BIOS and it went through to phase 2, unfortunately it is still hanging on phase 2.

I feel frustrated at this viscious circle and want to break it. I loaded the drivers as I was instructed by yourself before installation.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  17. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

Wow, well after the installation hung last night I gave up.

Then this morning I tried again, this time removing all USB devices except the keyboard, mouse and USB stick and installation completed successfully!

Thank you very much for all your support.

I hope this helps anyone else who has problems.

Sheepdisease, Oct 24, 2008
  18. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

I want to activate Windows Vista now that it is installed but I can't see a link in the start menu or anywhere else. I chose not to activate during installation because of all the problems I was having.

Is there a command prompt or something that I can use to bring it up?

19. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

Okay, so I went through the start menu and then right clicked on "My computer" then selected "Properties" and then selected "Activate Windows now".

Unfortunately I am told that my product key is already in use, but it's not because I am trying to install Vista on the same system. Just because I changed the hard drive... Grr! I don't have any credit on my mobile and a call from a mobile to their 0800 number will cost loads. I don't have access to a landline telephone so I am stuck not knowing what to do!

20. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

I don't like the fact that I am being ignored now!

Sheepdisease, Oct 26, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question