SBS 2003 Backup. Can't seem to to a partial restore (file by file or directory)

Discussion in 'Windows Small Business Server' started by Roveer, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Roveer

Roveer Guest

I've been backing up my SBS 2003 server using the wizard from SBS. Every night it takes a full backup (minus a few exclusions) of the entire boot and data partitions. The SBS reports shows success every night and I see the 103 GB files.

Today I tried to do a partial restore. The backup client shows all the files and it shows the drives that it backed up, but will not display anything lower (directory structure) than that.

I started a restore to an alternate location and it did start restoring, but started with the exchange store which is huge. Said it was going to take more than a day to restore.

I'm looking for just a particular directory a files. Probably 20 megs at best. But I seem unable to select just that to restore.

I right clicked and said to catalog but it said there were no uncataloged sets in the file.

Am I SOL and have to restore the entire backup set in order just to get to my files? This wouldn't be a bad thing if I were restoring after a disaster but when I'm just trying to get a few files this would be a huge deal.

Please let me know if I have any options to just get the files I want.

Thanks,

Roveer

Roveer, Apr 16, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Roveer

Joe Guest

Everybody's gone, the tumbleweed rolls by....

They're here now:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=smallbusinessserver

You'll need the Hotmail address to post.

Joe, Apr 16, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Roveer

Roveer Guest

Roveer

Yeah, so to reply to my own post. I was able to solve my problem by using tools catalog and cataloging the backup set. This allowed me to drill down into the directory structure and restore just what I wanted to.

Roveer

Roveer, Apr 17, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question