SBS 2011 to Hyper V 2012

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by peterrbann, Feb 19, 2013.

1. peterrbann

peterrbann Guest

Hi All,
    I don’t know whether I’m in the right group?
    Currently I’m debating whether to buy a Hyper V 2012 with 4 VM licences. The reason for this is I want to restore some physical servers into a backup network for disaster recovery and restoration testing.
    This is my current setup, all physical boxes:
    SBS 2011 with Premium Addon CALS
    2 x Windows 2008 Terminal Servers
    3 x Windows 2008 SQL Servers
    2 x Windows 2003 Web Servers
    My problem is with the SBS 2011 box I want to take backups of the physical SBS 2011 and restore them to the Hyper v 2012. So a) I can test the restoration and b) I’ll have backup on Hyper V if the physical box go’s down. I use Backup Exec 2010 for my traditional backup software.
    I have been reading up on the subject and there seems to no direct answer, this is what I want to know:
    1. Can I restore SBS 2011 physical to Hyper V 2012.
    2. What method of backing up should I use to backup the physical SBS 2011 to hyper V. Remember the hyper V will not be a live server simply a restore and standby server.

Thanks in advance for any help

peterrbann, Feb 19, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. peterrbann

Ian Administrator

I got this e-mail from the backup exec team which may help you:

Ian, Mar 4, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. peterrbann

PackMatt73

Greetings Peter & Ian,

I am part of the Backup Exec product mgmt team. Currently, BE does not support Windows Server 2012, but the next release will. We really want people using BE 2010 involved with the beta. We would love to have you be a part of it. Ian has the correct websit to sign up for the beta.
    if you have any questions, please feel free to DM me or answer inline

PackMatt73, Mar 5, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question