server refuses to create share

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Bonno Bloksma, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Hi,

Brand new Windows 2008 server. Due to UAC problems as domain admin I have disabled all AUC prompts
    for Domain admins in de local policy. We do not have any GPO which might overule that.

On a newly formatted D: drive I want to share a folder. I create a directory, right click on the
    directory and choose share.
    By default my account is listed as owner and Domain admins as Co-Owner.
    The share button stil has the UAC shield on it but when I click on it I get a screen:
    Title bar: File sharing
    That's it. no more, no explanation why. Nor can I find any relevant info in the event logs.

I don't know what it is about Server 2008 but I'm getting more and more frustrated.

Bonno Bloksma

Bonno Bloksma, Mar 29, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Bonno Bloksma

Dave Patrick Guest

Is file and printer sharing bound to the network connection?

--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Dave Patrick, Mar 29, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. I've been running Windows 2008 for about 2 years and haven't seen this problem. I don't think UAC has anything to do with this. Instead of clicking on Share, click on Advanced Sharing, set it up under there, and see if that helps.

Is there any 3rd party utilities, apps, firewalls, security software, etc, installed? Or Dave's question about F&S bound?

--
    Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT], Mar 30, 2010
  4. Hi,

Turns out it IS a UAC problem. I had not restarted the server yet so the new local policy had not
    been activated yet. :-(

Bonno Bloksma

Bonno Bloksma, Apr 2, 2010

5. Good to hear you resolved it! :)

Ace

--
    Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT], Apr 2, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question