Solution to repeating critical update KB829358

Discussion in 'Windows Small Business Server' started by Kiran Otter, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Kiran Otter

Kiran Otter Guest

After not finding a solution, I bit the bullet and called MS. Luckily, they credited me back the $245 for the call.

This issue involves KB829358, and update to SQL, that repeatedly wants to install via Critical Updates.

Go into the registry and find this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\SHAREPOINT\Setup

Change the ProductCode to include the word 'invalid' after the right brace. (I imagine you could type anything to just invalidate
    the value, but I was instructed to type 'invalid'.)

Example value for ProductCode: {65657C59-23A8-4974-B8E0-BA04EBD04E4F}invalid

Reboot, and the update should not appear again.

Kiran

Kiran Otter, Aug 6, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. Kiran Otter

Jim Duncan Guest

I prefer to wait for MS to fix the issue with the patch itself.
    Thanks, though!

-Jim

they credited me back the $245 for the call.
    brace. (I imagine you could type anything to just invalidate

Jim Duncan, Aug 6, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. Kiran Otter

Kiran Otter Guest

I have to note that the patch itself never appears to be installed. Even attempts to download and run the executable patch failed
    to work as well.

Because of the change to the GUID, I'm assuming the update did not apply to my installation, but CU thought it did. When running
    the executable version, it reported that the product it was meant to patch was not installed, or the wrong version.

I don't think the patch was to blame, but I wonder now if I really need it or not.

Kiran

Kiran Otter, Aug 9, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question