Swap size for 3.5GB RAM?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Help' started by Netx, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Netx

Netx Guest

I wonder what size of a separate partition should I prepare for Vista Home
    Premium 32bit? Physical Ram is 4GB, for 32bit OS - 3.5GB.
    Currently I have 2.92GB partition for swap, on secondary HDD (for a system
    other than Vista). Shold I allocate more?
    However I have some date on other partitions which I would reluctantly move.
    Has Vista a feature to resize non-system NTFS and FAT32 partitions without
    loosing
    data?

Should it matter, the only memory-occuping programs I am going to use are
    for virtualization and some games, however I don't suppose the programs will
    use
    more that physical RAM. (In which case - can I work without swap?)

Mark

Netx, Dec 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. What for? Any resize may be done using free or trial tools which are more
    reliable than PM. My favorite partitioning tool is BootIt.

Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk, Dec 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Will BootIt *move* partitions?

My system had C as system ptn, with way more unused space than I planned to leave for future
    Windows wastage, so I decreased its size and created an extended ptn, fully used by a logical
    ptn for my own use, Windows to keep its hands off. But at that moment, forced minimum size
    for C was a lot larger than I felt was necessary, and since reinstallation events another big
    piece of land became available. Problem: the Windows disk manager won't even contemplate
    moving the extended ptn backwards on the physical disk to occupy the new unallocated space.
    Partition Magic (8, iirc) won't touch the Vista NTFS partitions, and in fact won't even open in
    their presence (again, iirc.) I've d/l'd a couple of disk managers hat specificlly claim to
    support Vista, but they're trials of commercial offerings, with almost all functionality
    virtualized in the trial version, so you can look at what you want done, but you can't touch
    it.

fumblefingers, Jan 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question