Trying to get data off a bad .vhd

Discussion in 'Virtual PC' started by Jasmine Lee, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Jasmine Lee

Jasmine Lee Guest

I'm having a similar problem and I really need to recover the data on the .vhd.

When I try to start the image in the normal way through VirtualPC, I get this message:

"Windows could not start becuaset he following file is missing or corrupt:
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
    You can attempt to repair the file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

I don't have the original setup CD, so that option is out.

I tried WinImage, and it appeared to open the .vhd and show me the top level folders, but if I tried to browse the folders or copy a folder, WinImage crashes and says:
    "WinImage application file has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jasmine

Jasmine Lee, Oct 18, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Jasmine Lee

Jasmine Lee Guest

(For some reason part of my message above didn't appear when submitted, so I'm trying again)

I'm having a similar problem and I really need to recover the data on the .vhd.

When I try to start the image in the normal way through VirtualPC, I get this message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
    You can attempt to repair the file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

I don't have the original setup CD, so that option is out.

I tried WinImage, and it appeared to open the .vhd and show me the top level folders, but if I tried to browse the folders or copy a folder, WinImage crashes and says:

WinImage application file has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jasmine

Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
    Using ASP.NET Session with Silverlight and WCF Services
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...ession-with-silverlight-and-wcf-services.aspx

Jasmine Lee, Oct 18, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. RossettoeCioccolato, Oct 19, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question