Using DifxApp, driver is not being uninstalled with the rest of the application

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Drivers' started by Bob K, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Bob K

Bob K Guest

I have an application that contains a file system filter driver. I use Windows Installer and DifxApp and it has all been working great for some time.

I have ONE server where, when I uninstall the application, the driver is left behind. I'm trying to figure out if this is some latent bug in my stuff, or somethink screwed up in that server. So far, no luck.

The server is Windows 2003 R2, SP2 x64 edition.

Here appears to be the interesting part of the uninstall log:

MSI (s) (9C:64) [11:00:46:580]: Doing action: MsiProcessDrivers
    Action 11:00:46: MsiProcessDrivers.
    Action start 11:00:46: MsiProcessDrivers.
    MSI (s) (9C:3C) [11:00:46:596]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI5E.tmp, Entrypoint: ProcessDriverPackages
    DIFXAPP: 'Component' is 'Kernel_MF_inf'
    DIFXAPP: Component state 0x3 -> 0xFFFFFFFF
    DIFXAPP: 'ComponentId' is {33C87C1F-F8A4-4834-9F3D-A9026D067632}
    DIFXAPP: 'Flags' is 30
    DIFXAPP: component path is
    MSI (s) (9C!4C) [11:00:46:627]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding NoOp_{33C87C1F-F8A4-4834-9F3D-A9026D067632} property. Its value is 'TRUE'.
    DIFXAPP: INFO - This is a no-op custom action for component Kernel_MF_inf. The NoOp_{33C87C1F-F8A4-4834-9F3D-A9026D067632} property has been set to TRUE.
    Action ended 11:00:46: MsiProcessDrivers. Return value 1.

The component associated with the driver is Kernel_MF_inf.

So, why would it be setting this NoOp_ property? In comparing the following registry keys with another server that works:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DIFx
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DIFxApp

It all looks fine.

I can force the driver to uninstall using dpinst.exe (after I have uninstalled the app), although doing that does NOT clean up the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DIFx\Services

It leaves the application service key and refcount. I have to delete that manually.

I have no idea where else to look. It seems like it thinks that some other application is referencing this driver and that is why it is not uninstalling it, but I can't find anything.

Thanks for any ideas.

Bob

Bob K, Dec 31, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question