View Source in IE 7

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer' started by ochnas, Jul 30, 2008.

1. ochnas

ochnas Guest

I can report that http://www.iconico.com/viewSourceEditor/ did actually work
    to do this for IE7 with Vista Home Premium.

After testing that it worked, I went back into regedit and found that the
    registry key I previously added at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
    Editor\Editor Name

was not altered at all by this application.

So if it changed something in the registry, it is somewhere else.

I'm still curious what changing the HTML editor does, if anything, in the
    Programs tab under Tools-->Internet Options, since this setting seemed to
    have no effect on View-->Source.

But it works now.

Thanks to everybody for the brainstorming and ideas.

ochnas, Aug 1, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. ochnas wrote on Thu, 31 Jul 2008 22:24:57 -0400:
    The HTML Editor is for the Edit Page option, in IE7 on XP SP2 here I click
    the toolbar button that looks like a page with a pen on it, and one of the
    menu options is Edit with EditPad Lite (EditPad Lite being the app I have
    set as the HTML Editor option). It's not the same as the View Source editor
    setting.

Daniel Crichton, Aug 1, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Eureka! Glad you were finally able to this worked out.
    The only Key that is affected by this utility is:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
    Editor\Editor Name

To be sure of this, I ran a before and after snapshot of the registry here
    before using the the utility, and the above Key is the only Key affected by
    the Utility. Why it wasn't working for you by adding the Key manually is a
    mystery to me, perhaps you made a TYPO somewhere in the process?
    See Dan's reply in this Thread.
    You're welcome.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

Donald Anadell, Aug 1, 2008
  4. This post, with its according title, is essentially to make more visible ochnas' useful report telling which only way actually works for changing the editor called by "View > Source" in IE7.
    Secondly, I reply to Daniel Crichton's helpful remarks on the 2 "Edit" tools in IE:

Sure this is one more place where displays and messages to user are not written carefully enough. After years of developing and trying to correct the wrong ways developing teams were working, I think *the same person* should write concurrently the product, all its internal and external messages, instructions, help, and documentation (of course this implies a different dividing of teams, each having a wider scope as product+msgs+help+doc, hence narrower on the product itself).

Here, such a way would have prompted developers to see that those "View - Source" and "Edit with (NotePad or else)" tools are too similar, or even identical, and should probably be merged into a single one. If not, they need be redesigned more differently so to make their doubled instance useful, then more clearly distinguished in their names (e.g. "Source-Edit" and "WYSIWYG-Edit", or "Edit the Source" and "Edit the Content", or anything better that would surely be found if someone really tried, taking account of the differentiation). Anyway they need some more explanations.

Anyway thanks a lot to "ochnas" who, by his perseverance and patience got to success, then had the kindness to come back to share it with us all. Thx also to Daniel Crichton for his clarification.

Versailles, Fri 1 Aug 2008 18:44:20 +0200

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----
    Newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
    Sent: Fri 1 Aug 2008 09:38:05 +0100 (08:38:05 GMT)
    Subject: Re: View Source in IE 7

The HTML Editor is for the Edit Page option, in IE7 on XP SP2 here I click the toolbar button that looks like a page with a pen on it, and one of the menu options is Edit with EditPad Lite (EditPad Lite being the app I have set as the HTML Editor option). It's not the same as the View Source editor setting.

--
    Dan

Newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
    Sent: Thu 31 Jul 2008 22:24:57 -0400 (Fri 1 Aug 2008 02:24:57 GMT)
    Subject: Re: View Source in IE 7
    Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1"; reply-type=response
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I can report that http://www.iconico.com/viewSourceEditor/ did actually work to do this for IE7 with Vista Home Premium.

After testing that it worked, I went back into regedit and found that the registry key I previously added at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor Name

was not altered at all by this application.

So if it changed something in the registry, it is somewhere else.

I'm still curious what changing the HTML editor does, if anything, in the Programs tab under Tools-->Internet Options, since this setting seemed to have no effect on View-->Source.

But it works now.

Thanks to everybody for the brainstorming and ideas.

Sent: Wed 30 Jul 2008 08:41:49 -0400 (12:41:49 GMT)
    Subject: View Source in IE 7
    Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1"; reply-type=original
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    X-Priority: 3
    X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    X-Newsreader: Microsoft Windows Mail 6.0.6001.18000

I'm using IE 7 and Vista Home Premium.

When I choose "View Source" I'd like to use a text editor that is NOT Notepad. I used to be able to do this on my work computer (running XP and IE 6).

In searching past topics in this group on the subject, someone mentioned some tool that was available for XP to do this. Is it possible to use this tool with Vista as well? Is there an easier way to do this?

Under Tools-->Internet Options-->Programs I already have TextPad selected as HTML editor, but when I select View Source it still opens in Notepad.

I'm confused.

Michel Merlin, Aug 1, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question