Vista Programs and Features error

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Support' started by Glyde, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Glyde

Glyde

Vista Programs and Features error {Self Solved}

hi all,

I joined this forum hoping that someone here can help me. Recently I used the Programs and Features selection under Control Panel (Vista home prem. 64 bit) to uninstall a few things. When I went to use it again yesterday and today I can't open it. I click Programs and features" and it flashes a window on the screen for a moment and doesnt open. I also cant force start the Windows trusted installer service(error 1053). Somewhere along the line I also recieved errors about msi.dll being damged or incompatible with my version of windows!?!?

Now, I this is the first PC I've built myself and so far over the last nine months I've had it I have handled all problems and obstacles either by puttering around or running diagnostic and repair tools or through alot of web searching for fixes. This is one I cant seem to find anywhere on the web, windows repair wont catch and I'm at a los here. This isn't time critical as I don't need to uninstall anything right at this moment but I wou;d like a return of that functionality.

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated, and if more info is needed to help solve the problem, then please let me know.

Thank you very much in advance,
    -Rich D.

*edit*
    Fixed this one on my own, found a hotfix that updated through the update center ( no standalone installer that uses .msi packaging could be started before I fixed this). I used one of the two x64 vista downloads at the bottom. It autochecks which is applicable to your system. I guess it replaced my bad msi.dll. Now all works again!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
    Glyde, Sep 19, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Glyde

Ian Administrator

Sorry I didn't see this in time, but I'm glad you got it working :D

Thanks for editing the post and providing a fix!

Ian, Sep 23, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question