W2K8 continuously rebots after Windows Update

Discussion in 'Windows Update' started by piraya, Jul 20, 2009.

  1. piraya

    piraya Guest

    Hi,

    I ran Windows Update on Windows Server 2008 Web Edition 32-bit and selected
    all critical updates and pressed the Install button.

    Windows Update had downloaded 0 % even after 1 hour so I cancelled the
    update and restarted it again. Still didn't download so I restarted the
    server and after reboot it seemed to apply patches.
    Now every time the server reboots it says update 3 of 3 and then it
    continues to message "Wait for the Windows Modules Installer..." after a
    couple of minutes the server reboots and starts all over with update 3 of 3.

    I have tried to start the server both in Safe Mode and with "Last known good
    configuration" but the server just reboots.

    I cannot seem to find any info about this on the net, have someone else
    experienced this?

    Kind Regards,
    raja
     
    piraya, Jul 20, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. piraya wrote:
    > I ran Windows Update on Windows Server 2008 Web Edition 32-bit and
    > selected all critical updates and pressed the Install button.
    >
    > Windows Update had downloaded 0 % even after 1 hour so I cancelled
    > the update and restarted it again. Still didn't download so I
    > restarted the server and after reboot it seemed to apply patches.
    > Now every time the server reboots it says update 3 of 3 and then it
    > continues to message "Wait for the Windows Modules Installer..."
    > after a couple of minutes the server reboots and starts all over
    > with update 3 of 3.
    >
    > I have tried to start the server both in Safe Mode and with "Last
    > known good configuration" but the server just reboots.
    >
    > I cannot seem to find any info about this on the net, have someone
    > else experienced this?


    Which specific updates did you install?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP
    --
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
     
    Shenan Stanley, Jul 20, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. CrystalBall© sez...

    Description of the Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 installation
    software feature update released April 28, 2009:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955430
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002


    piraya wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I ran Windows Update on Windows Server 2008 Web Edition 32-bit and
    > selected
    > all critical updates and pressed the Install button.
    >
    > Windows Update had downloaded 0 % even after 1 hour so I cancelled the
    > update and restarted it again. Still didn't download so I restarted the
    > server and after reboot it seemed to apply patches.
    > Now every time the server reboots it says update 3 of 3 and then it
    > continues to message "Wait for the Windows Modules Installer..." after a
    > couple of minutes the server reboots and starts all over with update 3 of
    > 3.
    >
    > I have tried to start the server both in Safe Mode and with "Last known
    > good
    > configuration" but the server just reboots.
    >
    > I cannot seem to find any info about this on the net, have someone else
    > experienced this?
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    > raja
     
    PA Bear [MS MVP], Jul 20, 2009
    #3
  4. piraya

    piraya Guest

    I actually selected a few updates and donn't know wich one cause this as I
    cannot login to the server as it reboots all the time.
    One thing that I know is that it never showed me that it had downloaded
    updates, it said 0 % downloaded. This is why I restarted the machine and it
    suddenly sad that it is applying fixes.

    Kind Regards,
    raja


    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > piraya wrote:
    > > I ran Windows Update on Windows Server 2008 Web Edition 32-bit and
    > > selected all critical updates and pressed the Install button.
    > >
    > > Windows Update had downloaded 0 % even after 1 hour so I cancelled
    > > the update and restarted it again. Still didn't download so I
    > > restarted the server and after reboot it seemed to apply patches.
    > > Now every time the server reboots it says update 3 of 3 and then it
    > > continues to message "Wait for the Windows Modules Installer..."
    > > after a couple of minutes the server reboots and starts all over
    > > with update 3 of 3.
    > >
    > > I have tried to start the server both in Safe Mode and with "Last
    > > known good configuration" but the server just reboots.
    > >
    > > I cannot seem to find any info about this on the net, have someone
    > > else experienced this?

    >
    > Which specific updates did you install?
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    >
    >
    >
     
    piraya, Jul 20, 2009
    #4
  5. piraya

    piraya Guest

    Please note that the server continuously reboots this means that I cannot
    login to the server to apply any fixes or do anything!


    "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

    > CrystalBall© sez...
    >
    > Description of the Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 installation
    > software feature update released April 28, 2009:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955430
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
    >
    >
    > piraya wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I ran Windows Update on Windows Server 2008 Web Edition 32-bit and
    > > selected
    > > all critical updates and pressed the Install button.
    > >
    > > Windows Update had downloaded 0 % even after 1 hour so I cancelled the
    > > update and restarted it again. Still didn't download so I restarted the
    > > server and after reboot it seemed to apply patches.
    > > Now every time the server reboots it says update 3 of 3 and then it
    > > continues to message "Wait for the Windows Modules Installer..." after a
    > > couple of minutes the server reboots and starts all over with update 3 of
    > > 3.
    > >
    > > I have tried to start the server both in Safe Mode and with "Last known
    > > good
    > > configuration" but the server just reboots.
    > >
    > > I cannot seem to find any info about this on the net, have someone else
    > > experienced this?
    > >
    > > Kind Regards,
    > > raja

    >
    >
     
    piraya, Jul 20, 2009
    #5
  6. piraya

    piraya Guest

    Hi,

    I could not wait so I called Busniess Critical Paid Support and got this
    article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358/en-us
    Method 3 did solve my problem.

    It's horrible thought that a server continuously reboots after Windows Update.

    Kind Regards,
    raja

    "piraya" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I ran Windows Update on Windows Server 2008 Web Edition 32-bit and selected
    > all critical updates and pressed the Install button.
    >
    > Windows Update had downloaded 0 % even after 1 hour so I cancelled the
    > update and restarted it again. Still didn't download so I restarted the
    > server and after reboot it seemed to apply patches.
    > Now every time the server reboots it says update 3 of 3 and then it
    > continues to message "Wait for the Windows Modules Installer..." after a
    > couple of minutes the server reboots and starts all over with update 3 of 3.
    >
    > I have tried to start the server both in Safe Mode and with "Last known good
    > configuration" but the server just reboots.
    >
    > I cannot seem to find any info about this on the net, have someone else
    > experienced this?
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    > raja
     
    piraya, Jul 20, 2009
    #6
  7. piraya wrote:
    > I ran Windows Update on Windows Server 2008 Web Edition 32-bit and
    > selected all critical updates and pressed the Install button.
    >
    > Windows Update had downloaded 0 % even after 1 hour so I cancelled
    > the update and restarted it again. Still didn't download so I
    > restarted the server and after reboot it seemed to apply patches.
    > Now every time the server reboots it says update 3 of 3 and then it
    > continues to message "Wait for the Windows Modules Installer..."
    > after a couple of minutes the server reboots and starts all over
    > with update 3 of 3.
    >
    > I have tried to start the server both in Safe Mode and with "Last
    > known good configuration" but the server just reboots.
    >
    > I cannot seem to find any info about this on the net, have someone
    > else experienced this?


    Shenan Stanley wrote:
    > Which specific updates did you install?


    piraya wrote:
    > I actually selected a few updates and donn't know wich one cause
    > this as I cannot login to the server as it reboots all the time.
    > One thing that I know is that it never showed me that it had
    > downloaded updates, it said 0 % downloaded. This is why I restarted
    > the machine and it suddenly sad that it is applying fixes.


    Right.

    Again - which updates did you apply?

    I didn't ask if you knew which were the issue - I asked which updates you
    applied to your (most likely) production server that seemed to cause this
    issue? You should keep track of exactly what you are doing - especially to
    a server. ;-)

    Later I see you used this method to fix your problem:

    Rename the Pending.xml file, and then edit the registry

    Notes: Read the following important notes before you use this
    troubleshooting method.

    - Use this method to resolve the restart symptom that is described in the
    "Symptoms" section so that you can back up data before you reinstall
    Windows. You should use this troubleshooting method only if you intend to
    back up data and to reinstall Windows.

    - Use this method only after you try the other methods.

    Note: If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or from a DVD,
    see the documentation that was included with the computer for instructions
    about how to continue.

    - Use this method only if the computer has no restore points or if you
    cannot start your computer at a point where the System Restore feature is
    available.

    - After you use this method, the following conditions may exist until you
    reinstall Windows:
    - An update that is being installed may not be installed correctly.
    - Windows Update may not function correctly.
    - If an update is being installed, you may be unable to stop the
    installation process.
    - You may be unable to enable and disable certain optional Windows
    features.
    - Certain optional Windows features may not function correctly.
    - The computer may be in an unprotected state.

    To rename the Pending.xml file and to edit the registry, follow these steps.

    Start Windows and go to the System Recovery options:

    - Insert the Windows installation disc in the disc drive, and then restart
    the computer.
    - When you are prompted to restart from the disc, press any key.
    - When you are prompted, configure the Language to install, Time and
    currency format, and Keyboard or input method options that you want, and
    then click Next.
    - On the Install Windows page, click Repair your computer.
    - On the System Recovery Options page, click the version of the Windows
    operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
    - Use the System Recovery options to rename the Pending.xml file and edit
    the registry:
    - On the System Recovery Options page, click Command Prompt.
    - Type cd C:\windows\winsxs, and then press ENTER.
    - Type ren pending.xml pending.old, and then press ENTER.
    - Type regedit, and then press ENTER.
    - Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    - On the File menu, click Load Hive.
    - Locate the following folder:
    C:\windows\system32\config\components
    - When you are prompted for a name, type Offline_Components.
    - In Registry Editor, locate and then delete the following registry
    subkey:
    HLKM\Offline Components\AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving
    HKLM\Offline Components\PendingXmlIdentifier
    - Exit Registry Editor:
    - At the command prompt, type exit to exit Registry Editor.
    - Press ENTER.
    - Click Restart.

    ( Method 3 from here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358 )

    So you will be re-installing soon anyway, I assume?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP
    --
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
     
    Shenan Stanley, Jul 20, 2009
    #7
  8. That's the resolution suggested by Shenan in his last post.

    So what updates were involved here, please? Was Service Pack 2 one of them?


    piraya wrote:
    > I could not wait so I called Busniess Critical Paid Support and got this
    > article:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358/en-us
    > Method 3 did solve my problem.
    >
    > It's horrible thought that a server continuously reboots after Windows
    > Update.
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    > raja
    >
    > "piraya" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I ran Windows Update on Windows Server 2008 Web Edition 32-bit and
    >> selected
    >> all critical updates and pressed the Install button.
    >>
    >> Windows Update had downloaded 0 % even after 1 hour so I cancelled the
    >> update and restarted it again. Still didn't download so I restarted the
    >> server and after reboot it seemed to apply patches.
    >> Now every time the server reboots it says update 3 of 3 and then it
    >> continues to message "Wait for the Windows Modules Installer..." after a
    >> couple of minutes the server reboots and starts all over with update 3 of
    >> 3.
    >>
    >> I have tried to start the server both in Safe Mode and with "Last known
    >> good configuration" but the server just reboots.
    >>
    >> I cannot seem to find any info about this on the net, have someone else
    >> experienced this?
    >>
    >> Kind Regards,
    >> raja
     
    PA Bear [MS MVP], Jul 20, 2009
    #8
  9. piraya

    courtneylynn Guest

    I am having this same problem. except mine gets to 100% on stage 3 of 3, but
    it restarts over and over again. I can't believe I can't find any answers on
    here. I'm seeing all of the same ones. How are we suppose to do any of it if
    pressing every single key wont do a thing in the first place?! we cant log in
    to can do any of it. all i did was install the updates that windows checked
    off as important and now i'm stuck with a computer that keeps restarting. i'd
    apreciate it if someone would give a reply that i can actually use.

    thanks.

    "piraya" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I ran Windows Update on Windows Server 2008 Web Edition 32-bit and selected
    > all critical updates and pressed the Install button.
    >
    > Windows Update had downloaded 0 % even after 1 hour so I cancelled the
    > update and restarted it again. Still didn't download so I restarted the
    > server and after reboot it seemed to apply patches.
    > Now every time the server reboots it says update 3 of 3 and then it
    > continues to message "Wait for the Windows Modules Installer..." after a
    > couple of minutes the server reboots and starts all over with update 3 of 3.
    >
    > I have tried to start the server both in Safe Mode and with "Last known good
    > configuration" but the server just reboots.
    >
    > I cannot seem to find any info about this on the net, have someone else
    > experienced this?
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    > raja
     
    courtneylynn, Jul 21, 2009
    #9
  10. piraya

    louisem Guest

    I am having the same problem, but am unable to get safe mode to load. I
    gets through all the steps and shuts down.


    --
    louisem
    Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
     
    louisem, Dec 23, 2009
    #10
  11. "louisem" <> wrote in message news:...

    (Another Me too! for a thread which started 5 months ago
    and hence has been flushed by msnews. Has been retained
    by the web interface because too many people voted for it.)


    7/19/2009 7:06 PM PST
    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...&p=1&tid=f77d9917-7e62-4377-80d2-eb862ceecf89


    Note: thread contains replies.


    >
    > I am having the same problem, but am unable to get safe mode to load. I
    > gets through all the steps and shuts down.
    >
    >
    > --
    > louisem
    > Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
    >
     
    Robert Aldwinckle, Dec 23, 2009
    #11
  12. piraya

    ScottBai Guest

    To regain access to Windows (Safe Mode not necessary), while it is stuck in
    the "Wait for the Windows Modules Installer", FROM ANOTHER COMPUTER connect
    to your problem machine over the network and disable the Windows Modules
    Installer Service, then stop the service. The machine will reboot once more,
    then should bring up the normal login screen after rebooting.

    You can do this via the Services applet, choosing 'Connect to another
    computer". Of course you'll have to authenticate if necessary (hint: net
    use \\server\ipc$ /u:domain\user *).

    You still have to fix the root problem, but this will at least get you into
    Windows.
     
    ScottBai, Jan 18, 2010
    #12
  13. piraya

    totomitak

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2014
    Messages:
    1
    Hello everyone
    We had the same problem with W2K8, but virtual one running as a guest on VMware.
    We had no safe mode, nothing to get into login window. Last known good configuration also restarted. It was just keeping restart after answering on 4 or 5 pings, so there was no time for remote service stopping.
    My colleague mounted the CD of the host mashine to the guest mashine and tryed to repair but it was not an option. He tried to install the virtual server anew, but there was an error about missing drivers to run on VMware. His next proposal was to install W2K8 on an old piece of hardware and then virtualize it.
    But he got command prompt repair type on some step. He tried registry modifications but no avail. We tried unsuccessfuly all other recommendations on internet. We renamed C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml only to get blue death screen. Following the method 3 on the M$ support page I downladed M$ repair tool, which was .msi file. Burned it to a CD, used msiexec command only to get "windows installer service is not running".
    Then I found on internet the file name of the looping process Windows Modules Installer Service.The path to executable is C:\Windows\servicing\TrustedInstaller.exe.
    So, I just cd to that folder and ren the file. Then I restarted the virtual machine and it went to normal running state.
    If you ever happen to experience this problem, just start the setup cd, go to command prompt repair mode and rename trustedinstaller.exe in servicing folder.
     
    totomitak, Jun 6, 2014
    #13
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Daniel
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    696
    Russ - SBITS.Biz \(MCP-SBS\)
    Jul 7, 2006
  2. Daniel

    critical update from Windows Update continuously wants to update

    Daniel, Jul 7, 2006, in forum: Windows Small Business Server
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    588
    Russ - SBITS.Biz \(MCP-SBS\)
    Jul 7, 2006
  3. piraya

    W2K8 continuously rebots after Windows Update

    piraya, Jul 20, 2009, in forum: Server Security
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,480
    Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]
    Jul 20, 2009
  4. Daniel
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    578
    Russ - SBITS.Biz \(MCP-SBS\)
    Jul 7, 2006
  5. Luka Obersnu

    W2k8 as member server in W2k8 SBS domain - CALs

    Luka Obersnu, Oct 20, 2009, in forum: Windows Small Business Server
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    704
    Andre Southgate
    Oct 22, 2009
Loading...