website not found

Discussion in 'DNS Server' started by Patrick D., Mar 27, 2010.

1. Patrick D.

Patrick D. Guest

Hi

My local dns server is on W2k3 R2 (small windows domain).
    Probably there is a dns-problem, since I cannot access (for example) the
    website with IP 85.214.49.222
    I can even not ping the website. Other websites can be accessed as usual.
    And as soon as I connect a Win7 domain-client directly to the cable modem,
    the above website is displayed normally.
    Are there some problems with certain IP-ranges on the newest windows server?

I corrected the following issue a long time ago
    http://weblogs.asp.net/owscott/archive/2009/09/15/windows-server-2008-r2-dns-issues.aspx

This time, the problem might be different.
    Thanks for your help.

Patrick

Patrick D., Mar 27, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Patrick,

I agree with M. de Boyne Pollard that pinging an IP is not a troubleshooting method for DNS or otherwise. Many sites do not allow ICMP responses, which is what Ping uses, for the sake of security.

You could simply ping the website URL, such as ping www.intel.com, and see if it resolves, whether it responds to the ping or not. THis way you know if it is resolving.

The better tool to test resolution is nslookup.

I looked up that IP you mentioned, and found the following:

Name: bms-hosting.de
    Address: 85.214.49.222

When I pinged either bms-hosting.de or 85.214.49.222, they responded for me. however, when I tried a browser to visit http://bms-hosting.de, it said "Forbidden." That's telling me this is a web server hosting many customer websites and uses host headers. So that Forbidden message is as expected.

You'll have to post the actual website URL for us to test it.

So if you are saying that when you ping the IP address, and it is not responding, nor that you can use a browser, it is telling me there may be a firewall block from your IP block.

And keep in mind, this is an assumption based on the limited info you've provided.

--
    Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT], Mar 29, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question