What evil sorcery...?

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by wvt running down firefox, May 10, 2012.

1. wvt running down firefox

wvt running down firefox

Hey everyone,

whenever I visit this website with my Firefox, Firefox loads the page and all looks well at first glance, but does not stop loading. Instead, it stops responding almost momentarily (while still showing the loading animation), and even can lead to crash my whole desktop session. My computer does not respond, either, until it either force-quits Firefox, or even my whole desktop, leaving me at the log-in screen.

I am running Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS with Gnome and Firefox 12.0 right now. Sure, with that I may not be your potential target audience, but still, as someone who helps others with their Windows and computer problems, I still frequent and use websites like this one.

I noticed that, whenever I open a link to this page in Firefox, all my RAM gets eaten up by the active Firefox instance within seconds (from RAM usage of 2.1GB to 3.9GB in about 5 seconds), and once full, also my swap memory gets filled completely. Once all memory is used up, either the problematic Firefox session gets killed by the system, or, if all goes bad, my whole Gnome session (gdm) will be terminated and restarted. So I figure there's some script to be loaded on this page that causes this memory overflow.

When trying to gather more info, I tried this with three different Firefox profiles, two of which I regularly use and which have some basic addons/extensions installed, and another, newly created, blank profile. With the blank profile, this issue did not occur, only with the other two Firefox profiles. (Also, in chromium-browser it did not occur so far...)

So I suspected it might be one of the installed and active Firefox addons that doesn't go well with something on winvistatips.com. But even with Firefox's safe mode (all addons disabled), the issue remained as soon as I only opened any winvistatips.com URL.

This is a real bummer, to run into such a major crash whenever clicking on a Google link to winvistatips.com, for instance. And as a Firefox heavy user with regularly way more than 50 tabs open, it sure sucks to be forced to restart Firefox (let alone the whole Gnome session!) because some website seems to do evil things...

Any ideas, hints, suggestions on this? I'd gladly provide more info if I can, too.

Kind regards,
    a run down firefox user

wvt running down firefox, May 10, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. wvt running down firefox

Ian Administrator

Sorry you've been having problems with the site :(.

Thanks for repoting this problem - I've got FireFox runnining in Widnows 7 and it works fine with that mix. I'm not sure what could be causing a problem, as we're running pretty standard stuff on here.

I'll try getting Ubuntu running in VirtualBox and see if I can replicate the issue. However, if it doesn't occur on a fresh FF profile I may find it works ok - so if you're able to post your main FF addons/extensions I can try to replicate those too.

Ian, May 11, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question