Windows 2003 Standard Upgrade to SBS 2003 Evaluation

Discussion in 'Windows Small Business Server' started by IndyIT, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. IndyIT

    IndyIT Guest

    We were scheduled to perform a W2K3 Std upgrade to SBS 2003 Premium (SP1)
    this weekend, however the eOpen media is not going to arrive in time. I have
    a copy of SBS 2003 Premium (SP1) Evaluation media on hand and was thinking
    about using that until the full version media arrives, and then spend the
    additional time going from the eval version to the Open License version.

    Does anyone know if this will work, specifically going from a full version
    of W2K3 to an eval of SBS? If it does work, are there any "gotchas" to watch
    out for. Also, if we need to use the CD/DVD later, will the eOpen media
    work, or will I need to copy the i386 folder to the disk to use for later.

    I am trying to get a copy of the media (we already have the online licenses)
    before we try the eval method, but need to have a last resort plan in place.

    Thanks
     
    IndyIT, Sep 1, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. IndyIT

    Dana Guest

    It worked in my lab tests, as long as the version is standard.
     
    Dana, Sep 1, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. IndyIT

    IndyIT Guest

    Thanks for the response Dana. I am glad to hear it worked in your test labs.

    Just to verify your comment "as long as the version is standard", you are
    speaking of the verion of Windows 2003 Server, and not the SBS version,
    correct? From what I understand, you cannot "upgrade/migrate" from W2K3
    Enterprise to SBS2003.

    Thanks in advance for your response.
     
    IndyIT, Sep 1, 2005
    #3
  4. IndyIT

    IndyIT Guest

    Thanks for your candid response Cris, however you made some assumptions that
    are not valid (not meaining to sound rude).

    I agree, I think doing it right the first time is in their best interest,
    and I am going to recommend a delay unless they "miraculously" receive their
    media (their "purchaser" dropped the ball on their end, so we have to live
    with that). However, there are other "powers to be" that influence the
    timelines and I am looking at alternatives to keep them aligned with other
    projects.

    If I use the eval copy, that buys a little time while they get their media,
    and then I can perform the upgrade to production (approximately 1 hour, more
    or less depending on what I have seen) during their off-hours/downtime for
    the other projects; and I will still be paid for my time.

    My question to you is, will the upgrade from a fully licensed W2K3-SP1-Std
    server to a W2K3-SBS_Premium-SP1 eval server work? If so, then great, we can
    stay on schedule (knowing that the upgrade to production will need to occur);
    if not, then I need to talk to the client and let them know that they will
    need to either push back the other project another week.

    Again, thanks for your comments and any additional responses to the question
    at hand.



     
    IndyIT, Sep 2, 2005
    #4
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.