Windows Critical Update / Internet Explorer 0-Bit Cipher Strength Problems

Discussion in 'Windows Update' started by John Youles, Nov 5, 2003.

1. John Youles

John Youles Guest

I was running Windows Critical Update and found after a while that it was
    constantly failing with Error 0x800C0008. It would then repeat the process five
    minutes later whenever I was on-line. I was even getting errors by doing the
    check at the Microsoft website. So I disabled Windows Critical Update by
    renaming the .EXE and removing the task scheduler entries.

I now find that Internet Explorer, although the latest version, 6.0.2800.1106IS,
    now will not access any secure websites because it has a 0-bit cipher strength.
    According to MS Knowledge Base Article 261328, this is because some .DLL files
    in the Windows/System directory are out-of-date. I tried to follow the
    instructions for Windows 98, and rename the .DLL files.

I managed to rename two in Windows Explorer, but the third, RSABASE.DLL, cannot
    be renamed when Windows is running, it can only be renamed by exiting Windows,
    going into DOS and renaming it there.

(I wonder if this is why Windows Critical Update failed ? Rather like trying to
    change the spark plugs in your car with the engine still running)

So far so good - but the next part of the fix is to reinstall Internet Explorer,
    which involves running IE6SETUP.EXE which insists on going on-line.
    Unfortunately, renaming the .DLL files means that Norton Internet Security /
    Anti-Virus won't run, and I am loathe to go on-line without protection against
    the attacks from malware which are a constant hazard when using the net these
    days.

In any case, IE6SETUP.EXE tells me that Internet Explorer is up-to-date, which
    it is, it's only the .DLL files that are a problem.

The alternative is to buy the disk - and there is a 6 week waiting list in the
    UK !

So what I need is a method of downloading the .DLL files so that I can then go
    off-line and install them manually in DOS.

Or there's always Netscape...

John Youles, Nov 5, 2003
    1. Advertisements

2. philip ashley, Nov 5, 2003
    1. Advertisements

3. John Youles

John Youles Guest

In message <Wg6qb.3114$> on Wed, 5 Nov
    2003 12:44:02 -0000 in microsoft.public.windowsupdate, "philip ashley"
    Many thanks to you and everyone who made helpful suggestions. I eventually
    found up to date versions of the 3 modules to download courtesy of the Sunflower
    Bank at http://www.sunflowerbank.com/

John Youles, Nov 5, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question