Windows live installation errors

Discussion in 'Windows Live Messenger' started by ryan.mohon, Sep 3, 2009.

1. ryan.mohon

ryan.mohon Guest

Last night I reinstalled Vista after trying Windows 7 rtm and I spent hours
    updating everything. I think some things still need updating, but to my
    question. I've been trying to install Windows Live Messenger and Windows Live
    Mail ever since I was up and running (before Windows Updates were downloaded
    and installed). But I keep getting an error code about the installer
    downloading Microsoft Visual Studio Runtime. I even went and looked for this
    program under microsoft downloads, found it, and downloaded it. Ok, try to
    install windows live messenger again.. More errors!

One for each application it tries to install.
    Microsoft Application Error Reporting : aborted:0x80004004
    Windows Live Upload Tool: failed_prior_task:0x80004004
    Windows Live Sign-In Assistant: failed_prior_task:0x80004004
    Installer: aborted:0x80004004
    Microsoft Choice Guard: failed_prior_task:0x80004004

Is there a place where I can download these individually without using the
    windows live installer?

ryan.mohon, Sep 3, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Greetings Ryan,

Yes there is, and actually all these components mentioned here aren't needed on Vista to make
    Messenger work.

On Vista, all you need is Messenger:
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/redir/w3qfe2/wlm.asp
    and the Contacts Platform:
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/redir/w3qfe/contacts.asp

After this you'll find Messenger on your start menu.

--
    Jonathan Kay
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
    MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
    MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
    Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    (c) 2009 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation

Jonathan Kay [MVP], Sep 4, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. ryan.mohon

Jesseee. Guest

Hello.

Well to start off, i WAS using Windows Live Messanger 8.0 i think it was.
    Anyways i tryed to sign in one day and a Pop up came up saying i had to
    install the new Windows live messanger.
    It's the Windows Live Messanger 9.0.

I downloaded this program from Jonathan Kay called " ZapMessenger "
    i used that to fully delete all my MSN stuff from my computer.
    That worked.

Then i went to install t

he new Messenger, all was well till it started to install, It got the the
    end of the installation and said,

" Messenger
    Messenger couldn't be installed because we had trouble installing this
    requirement:

- Microsoft Visual Studio Runtime
    This installation is forbidden by system policy. Contact your System
    administrator.
    Please try installing Windows Live programs again. An unknown error
    occurred. hr:0x80070659

That's it, I've try ed so many times to download it, im left with nothing
    but that i mentioned.
    i dont know what to do ?
    im left with out MSN till further notice !

Please help me. pleasseee.

Jesseee., Sep 27, 2009
  4. ryan.mohon

kjohn263 Guest

kjohn263, Oct 22, 2009
  5. ryan.mohon

Steve Powell Guest

I too have this problem now that *Live* will no longer allow access by Messenger 8.5, I have tried repeatedly to install the new version of Messenger(14)(supplied by the link that pops up on my monitor by Microsoft)only to find that I could not get past the *Application Error service* not being allowed by My system. I dl'ed the exe file from Jonathan's link (for Vista)(I'm running XPSP3)........the Messenger program installed. (just the basic program?)...but now I can't log in at all because of another error message telling me the service is temporarily unavailable.(error 80040154) ..what the *bleep* is going on here?........Why all this trouble just because Windows Live will no longer allow access by an older version of Messenger??.......this is Not performance

kjohn263 wrote:

:
    22-Oct-09

:

Previous Posts In This Thread:

Last night I reinstalled Vista after trying Windows 7 rtm and I spent hours
    updating everything. I think some things still need updating, but to my
    question. I have been trying to install Windows Live Messenger and Windows Live
    Mail ever since I was up and running (before Windows Updates were downloaded
    and installed). But I keep getting an error code about the installer
    downloading Microsoft Visual Studio Runtime. I even went and looked for this
    program under microsoft downloads, found it, and downloaded it. Ok, try to
    install windows live messenger again.. More errors!

One for each application it tries to install.
    Microsoft Application Error Reporting : aborted:0x80004004
    Windows Live Upload Tool: failed_prior_task:0x80004004
    Windows Live Sign-In Assistant: failed_prior_task:0x80004004
    Installer: aborted:0x80004004
    Microsoft Choice Guard: failed_prior_task:0x80004004

Is there a place where I can download these individually without using the
    windows live installer?

Greetings Ryan,Yes there is, and actually all these components mentioned here
    Greetings Ryan,

Yes there is, and actually all these components mentioned here are not needed on Vista to make
    Messenger work.

On Vista, all you need is Messenger:
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/redir/w3qfe2/wlm.asp
    and the Contacts Platform:
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/redir/w3qfe/contacts.asp

After this you will find Messenger on your start menu.

--
    Jonathan Kay
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
    MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
    MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
    Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    (c) 2009 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
    --

Hello.Well to start off, i WAS using Windows Live Messanger 8.0 i think it was.
    Hello.

Well to start off, i WAS using Windows Live Messanger 8.0 i think it was.
    Anyways i tryed to sign in one day and a Pop up came up saying i had to
    install the new Windows live messanger.
    it is the Windows Live Messanger 9.0.

I downloaded this program from Jonathan Kay called " ZapMessenger "
    i used that to fully delete all my MSN stuff from my computer.
    That worked.

Then i went to install t

he new Messenger, all was well till it started to install, It got the the
    end of the installation and said,

" Messenger
    Messenger could not be installed because we had trouble installing this
    requirement:

- Microsoft Visual Studio Runtime
    This installation is forbidden by system policy. Contact your System
    administrator.
    Please try installing Windows Live programs again. An unknown error
    occurred. hr:0x80070659

That's it, I have try ed so many times to download it, im left with nothing
    but that i mentioned.
    i dont know what to do ?
    im left with out MSN till further notice !

Please help me. pleasseee.

:
    :

EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
    The Guru's Guide To Transact-SQL
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...c3-29efb48e739c/the-gurus-guide-to-trans.aspx

Steve Powell, Nov 6, 2009
  6. ryan.mohon

neomi Guest

hi
    i have the same problem..
    i downloaded and installed both links u wrote but when i tried to sign in it
    didn't...
    it wrote error code:81000306
    what do i need to do?

neomi, Nov 9, 2009
  7. ryan.mohon

Steve Powell Guest

Well....I have solved the problem (at least on my PC). I did receive a response back from the support team at WLM. The rep sent to me the procedure for removing all of the program from the hard drive. I did all of this (to the letter) and when trying to reinstall Messenger the procedure would arrive at the display asking you which of the various portions of the program you wish to include in the install. Much to my sorrow Messenger was grayed out and not available as the message *you already have this program* was displayed. More searching on the system to find what was still causing this problem. What the rep didn't inform me of (and this could be an honest error on her part) was that one has to go into the C:\windows\installer folder and remove all of the .msi install packages there (ID'ed by the name beginning with 1d4). This was the problem with Messenger giving me the misinformation that I already had the program on the system. There are nine of these, pull them all out, then once again clean the registry, reboot the system and then go thru the web based install procedure provided by the WLM installer link. After doing all of this the program has installed cleanly and is now trouble free. This new program no longer appears in the *Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs* as Messenger, What you now see in there is Windows Live essentials. This is the uninstaller for the messenger program.

Steve Powell wrote:

06-Nov-09

I too have this problem now that *Live* will no longer allow access by Messenger 8.5, I have tried repeatedly to install the new version of Messenger(14)(supplied by the link that pops up on my monitor by Microsoft)only to find that I could not get past the *Application Error service* not being allowed by My system. I dl'ed the exe file from Jonathan's link (for Vista)(I'm running XPSP3)........the Messenger program installed. (just the basic program?)...but now I can't log in at all because of another error message telling me the service is temporarily unavailable.(error 80040154) ..what the *bleep* is going on here?........Why all this trouble just because Windows Live will no longer allow access by an older version of Messenger??.......this is Not performance

The SQLite Database Engine and ADO.NET Provider
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...8-dc79824ea55f/the-sqlite-database-engin.aspx

Steve Powell, Nov 10, 2009
  8. ryan.mohon

Steve Powell Guest

1. Remove Windows Live Messenger from the computer.

1. In the notification area (usually at the lower right corner of the computer screen where date and time is located), right-click the Messenger icon, and then click Exit.

2. Click Start, click Run, type control appwiz.cpl and press Enter.

3. Click on Windows Live Essentials, and then click Change/Remove

4. Select Uninstall, click Continue.

5. Under Select the programs you want to uninstall, mark the checkbox on all programs (Messenger, Mail, Photo Gallery, Toolbar, Writer), click Continue.

2. Remove the temporary files and folders from the computer.

a. Click Start , click Run, type cleanmgr in the text box, and then press ENTER.

b. In the Disk Cleanup options window, click My Files only.

c. On the Disk Cleanup tab, make sure that only the following options are selected:

.. Downloaded Program Files

.. Temporary Internet Files

.. Temporary files

.. Hibernation File Cleaner

.. Setup Log Files

.. Recycle Bin

.. Thumbnails

d. Confirm deletion of the files, and then run the Disk Cleanup utility.

3. Delete Windows Live Messenger related contacts cache files

a. Change the Microsoft Windows Explorer settings.

1. Right-click Start, and then click Explore to open Windows Explorer.

2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.

3. Click the View tab.

4. In the Advanced settings list, select Show hidden files and folders under Hidden Files and Folders.

5. Click to clear the Hide extensions for known file type's check box.

6. Click OK to close the Folder Options window.

b. Delete Cache folder.

1. Click Start, click Run, copy and paste this message %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\ and then press Enter. Delete the IdentityCRL folder.

2. Click Start, click Run, copy and paste this message %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\ and then press Enter. Delete the IdentityCRL folder.

3. Click Start, click Run, copy and paste this message %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\ and then press Enter. Delete the Windows Live Contacts folder.

4. Click Start, click Run, copy and paste this message %USERPROFILE%\ and then press Enter. Delete the Contacts folder. Skip this step if you cannot find Contacts folder.

4. Delete the Windows Live Messenger-associated registry keys.

Important The following steps contain information about how to modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up, and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, visit the following Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986

Warning: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

a. Click Start, click Run, type CMD , and then press ENTER to open the command window.

b. Type the following commands exactly as they appear below. Press ENTER after typing each command to execute the command.

Note In some cases, you may encounter the error that the key does not exist. If you have typed the command correctly, this may be because the key has already been removed or does not exist on your machine.

Type the commands exactly as they appear below, including the quotation marks.

REG DELETE "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live\Messenger' /f

REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger /f

REG DELETE "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live\Communications Clients\Shared" /f

REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL /f

5. Restart the computer.

6. Before we download Windows Live Messenger, let us run Windows Update to make sure that your operating system is up to date. This is will also help make sure that the program will install properly. Go to http://www.update.microsoft.com/. After the update, please proceed to the next step.

7. Reinstall Windows Live Messenger.

1. Go to http://download.live.com

2. Choose your language from the drop down on the right side of the page

3. Click Download

4. Follow the Messenger installation wizard.

Steve Powell wrote:

10-Nov-09

Well....I have solved the problem (at least on my PC). I did receive a response back from the support team at WLM. The rep sent to me the procedure for removing all of the program from the hard drive. I did all of this (to the letter) and when trying to reinstall Messenger the procedure would arrive at the display asking you which of the various portions of the program you wish to include in the install. Much to my sorrow Messenger was grayed out and not available as the message *you already have this program* was displayed. More searching on the system to find what was still causing this problem. What the rep didn't inform me of (and this could be an honest error on her part) was that one has to go into the C:\windows\installer folder and remove all of the .msi install packages there (ID'ed by the name beginning with 1d4). This was the problem with Messenger giving me the misinformation that I already had the program on the system. There are nine of these, pull them all out, then once again clean the registry, reboot the system and then go thru the web based install procedure provided by the WLM installer link. After doing all of this the program has installed cleanly and is now trouble free. This new program no longer appears in the *Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs* as Messenger, What you now see in there is Windows Live essentials. This is the uninstaller for the messenger program.

Solution to the Annoying Flickering Problem When Updating Textboxes
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...b2-326ca6f82d08/solution-to-the-annoying.aspx

Steve Powell, Nov 10, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question