Windows Media Center Won't Work

Discussion in 'Windows Media Center' started by John, Jun 4, 2008.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I purchased a computer a few months ago with Windows Vista Home Premiun
    edition. I have never been successful in getting the Windows Media Center to
    work.

    My ISP is MSN Dial-Up and I have no problems connecting to my ISP through
    its program - also have no problem accessing the internet from Internet
    Explorer. However, when I try to set up my internet connection with the Media
    Center using the Connection they show (MSN) and entering my password and
    then using the "Test" procedure to verify Media Center can connect to the
    internet I get the message "Specific Dial-Up Connection Cannot Be Found".

    I have also tried using Media Center when I am connected to the Intenet thru
    my ISP and nothing works where a Media Connection to the internet is needed.

    I have also tried using the program as "Administrator" and get the same
    results.

    I would appreciate any help/suggestions.
    --
    John
     
    John, Jun 4, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. John

    S.Sengupta Guest

    Check settings of dial-up connection selected for Media Center
    download.Now connect to your ISP outside Media Center and after that run
    Media Center Setup Again.If that doesn't help then look at the event log.

    regards,
    S.Sengupta[MS-MVP]

    John wrote:

    > I purchased a computer a few months ago with Windows Vista Home Premiun
    > edition. I have never been successful in getting the Windows Media Center to
    > work.
    >
    > My ISP is MSN Dial-Up and I have no problems connecting to my ISP through
    > its program - also have no problem accessing the internet from Internet
    > Explorer. However, when I try to set up my internet connection with the Media
    > Center using the Connection they show (MSN) and entering my password and
    > then using the "Test" procedure to verify Media Center can connect to the
    > internet I get the message "Specific Dial-Up Connection Cannot Be Found".
    >
    > I have also tried using Media Center when I am connected to the Intenet thru
    > my ISP and nothing works where a Media Connection to the internet is needed.
    >
    > I have also tried using the program as "Administrator" and get the same
    > results.
    >
    > I would appreciate any help/suggestions.
     
    S.Sengupta, Jun 5, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. John

    John Guest

    Thanks for the prompt response. I would appreciate more detailed information
    regarding your response.
    When I go to "Set Up Internet Connection" in Media Center I am asked if my
    connection is "always on" and I select "No". I am then asked to "Select
    Connection" and the only selection shown is "MSN" so I select that and am
    then asked to enter my password. Where should I go to "check the settings of
    dial-up connection for Media Center download"?

    You suggested if unsuccessful I look at the event log. What am I looking for
    on the log and what would I do with the information?

    Thanks again.
    --
    John


    "S.Sengupta" wrote:

    > Check settings of dial-up connection selected for Media Center
    > download.Now connect to your ISP outside Media Center and after that run
    > Media Center Setup Again.If that doesn't help then look at the event log.
    >
    > regards,
    > S.Sengupta[MS-MVP]
    >
    > John wrote:
    >
    > > I purchased a computer a few months ago with Windows Vista Home Premiun
    > > edition. I have never been successful in getting the Windows Media Center to
    > > work.
    > >
    > > My ISP is MSN Dial-Up and I have no problems connecting to my ISP through
    > > its program - also have no problem accessing the internet from Internet
    > > Explorer. However, when I try to set up my internet connection with the Media
    > > Center using the Connection they show (MSN) and entering my password and
    > > then using the "Test" procedure to verify Media Center can connect to the
    > > internet I get the message "Specific Dial-Up Connection Cannot Be Found".
    > >
    > > I have also tried using Media Center when I am connected to the Intenet thru
    > > my ISP and nothing works where a Media Connection to the internet is needed.
    > >
    > > I have also tried using the program as "Administrator" and get the same
    > > results.
    > >
    > > I would appreciate any help/suggestions.

    >
     
    John, Jun 5, 2008
    #3
  4. John

    S.Sengupta Guest

    Well I suggested you to connect to the internet before configuring Media
    Center-so that you will remain connected.To set up the Guide or to
    update Guide listings, your computer must be connected to the Internet.

    Troubleshoot problems with an Internet connection in Windows Media Center

    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/72bb2218-fed3-41da-92c8-799be3c6b68b1033.mspx

    regards,
    S.Sengupta[MS-MVP]



    John wrote:
    > Thanks for the prompt response. I would appreciate more detailed information
    > regarding your response.
    > When I go to "Set Up Internet Connection" in Media Center I am asked if my
    > connection is "always on" and I select "No". I am then asked to "Select
    > Connection" and the only selection shown is "MSN" so I select that and am
    > then asked to enter my password. Where should I go to "check the settings of
    > dial-up connection for Media Center download"?
    >
    > You suggested if unsuccessful I look at the event log. What am I looking for
    > on the log and what would I do with the information?
    >
    > Thanks again.
     
    S.Sengupta, Jun 6, 2008
    #4
  5. John

    John Guest

    Thanks again for your reply.

    I went to the Microsoft Windows Help locaion you suggested which is
    Troubleshoot Problems With An Internet Connection In Windows Media Center. It
    appeard that this was the answer to my problem. Even though I have a Dial-Up
    connection to my ISP I had never set the connection up so I went to the
    instructions for "configuring a dial-up connection for use in Windows Media
    Center". I went down thru the steps as shown but when I got to Step 6, Which
    indicares "Select the Allow Other People To use this Connection", which I
    did, I do not get any o[tion to select that says "Create". Only options I
    receice are "Connect" or "Cancel". When I try "Connect" I receive a message
    the "test" was unsuccessful.
    --
    John


    "S.Sengupta" wrote:

    > Well I suggested you to connect to the internet before configuring Media
    > Center-so that you will remain connected.To set up the Guide or to
    > update Guide listings, your computer must be connected to the Internet.
    >
    > Troubleshoot problems with an Internet connection in Windows Media Center
    >
    > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/72bb2218-fed3-41da-92c8-799be3c6b68b1033.mspx
    >
    > regards,
    > S.Sengupta[MS-MVP]
    >
    >
    >
    > John wrote:
    > > Thanks for the prompt response. I would appreciate more detailed information
    > > regarding your response.
    > > When I go to "Set Up Internet Connection" in Media Center I am asked if my
    > > connection is "always on" and I select "No". I am then asked to "Select
    > > Connection" and the only selection shown is "MSN" so I select that and am
    > > then asked to enter my password. Where should I go to "check the settings of
    > > dial-up connection for Media Center download"?
    > >
    > > You suggested if unsuccessful I look at the event log. What am I looking for
    > > on the log and what would I do with the information?
    > >
    > > Thanks again.

    >
     
    John, Jun 7, 2008
    #5
  6. John

    Brian Obee Guest

    I have had the same problem on Win7x64 for a few months now. I've spent over 40 hours trying to find a solution or even accurate information on the cause of the problem. No luck.
    I finally tried a utility called ?PC Scan and Repair by reimage? (www.Reimage.com). It promises a 60 day money back guarantee if not satisfied. I downloaded it, paid for a licence key and ran it. The problem wa solved in less than an hour. I re-indexed the files after the repair (Start button, type "index" (no quotes) in search box, click MODIFY to make sure Windows Media Center is included, click advanced and REBUILD the indexes). Once the indexes are rebuilt (may take some time) Media Center ADD RECORDING SEARCH worked just fine.
    I haven't found and any problems created by this new program. It makes many repairs so I'd get a system backup before trying it out.
    Good luck.



    > On Wednesday, June 04, 2008 3:59 PM Joh wrote:


    > I purchased a computer a few months ago with Windows Vista Home Premiun
    > edition. I have never been successful in getting the Windows Media Center to
    > work.
    >
    > My ISP is MSN Dial-Up and I have no problems connecting to my ISP through
    > its program - also have no problem accessing the internet from Internet
    > Explorer. However, when I try to set up my internet connection with the Media
    > Center using the Connection they show (MSN) and entering my password and
    > then using the "Test" procedure to verify Media Center can connect to the
    > internet I get the message "Specific Dial-Up Connection Cannot Be Found".
    >
    > I have also tried using Media Center when I am connected to the Intenet thru
    > my ISP and nothing works where a Media Connection to the internet is needed.
    >
    > I have also tried using the program as "Administrator" and get the same
    > results.
    >
    > I would appreciate any help/suggestions.
    > --
    > John



    >> On Wednesday, June 04, 2008 8:14 PM S.Sengupta wrote:


    >> Check settings of dial-up connection selected for Media Center
    >> download.Now connect to your ISP outside Media Center and after that run
    >> Media Center Setup Again.If that doesn't help then look at the event log.
    >>
    >> regards,
    >> S.Sengupta[MS-MVP]
    >>
    >> John wrote:



    >>> On Thursday, June 05, 2008 8:51 AM Joh wrote:


    >>> Thanks for the prompt response. I would appreciate more detailed information
    >>> regarding your response.
    >>> When I go to "Set Up Internet Connection" in Media Center I am asked if my
    >>> connection is "always on" and I select "No". I am then asked to "Select
    >>> Connection" and the only selection shown is "MSN" so I select that and am
    >>> then asked to enter my password. Where should I go to "check the settings of
    >>> dial-up connection for Media Center download"?
    >>>
    >>> You suggested if unsuccessful I look at the event log. What am I looking for
    >>> on the log and what would I do with the information?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again.
    >>> --
    >>> John
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> "S.Sengupta" wrote:



    >>>> On Thursday, June 05, 2008 9:30 PM S.Sengupta wrote:


    >>>> Well I suggested you to connect to the internet before configuring Media
    >>>> Center-so that you will remain connected.To set up the Guide or to
    >>>> update Guide listings, your computer must be connected to the Internet.
    >>>>
    >>>> Troubleshoot problems with an Internet connection in Windows Media Center
    >>>>
    >>>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/72bb2218-fed3-41da-92c8-799be3c6b68b1033.mspx
    >>>>
    >>>> regards,
    >>>> S.Sengupta[MS-MVP]
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> John wrote:



    >>>>> On Saturday, June 07, 2008 12:04 PM Joh wrote:


    >>>>> Thanks again for your reply.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I went to the Microsoft Windows Help locaion you suggested which is
    >>>>> Troubleshoot Problems With An Internet Connection In Windows Media Center. It
    >>>>> appeard that this was the answer to my problem. Even though I have a Dial-Up
    >>>>> connection to my ISP I had never set the connection up so I went to the
    >>>>> instructions for "configuring a dial-up connection for use in Windows Media
    >>>>> Center". I went down thru the steps as shown but when I got to Step 6, Which
    >>>>> indicares "Select the Allow Other People To use this Connection", which I
    >>>>> did, I do not get any o[tion to select that says "Create". Only options I
    >>>>> receice are "Connect" or "Cancel". When I try "Connect" I receive a message
    >>>>> the "test" was unsuccessful.
    >>>>> --
    >>>>> John
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> "S.Sengupta" wrote:
     
    Brian Obee, Apr 21, 2012
    #6
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
  1. not your average Joe

    Windows Media Center for Vista won't work correctly with video

    not your average Joe, Jun 24, 2008, in forum: Windows Media Player
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    348
    eduardo
    Jun 28, 2008
  2. henry
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    876
    jwalls1210
    Jan 22, 2004
  3. yewing
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    399
    power4u
    Apr 9, 2005
  4. Guest
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    824
    Guest
    Jun 11, 2009
  5. chrisyjose2000

    my speakers won't work and my mic won't work

    chrisyjose2000, May 7, 2004, in forum: Windows Media Player
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    424
    Chris Lanier [MVP]
    May 7, 2004
  6. pkwilliams
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    534
    pkwilliams
    Apr 23, 2006
  7. natural_locs
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    391
    zachd [MSFT]
    Mar 14, 2007
  8. cees09

    Modify GPO but option doesn't show

    cees09, Dec 21, 2016, in forum: Windows Small Business Server
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    841
    cees09
    Dec 21, 2016
Loading...