Windows Update Error 80070641

Discussion in 'Windows Update' started by This is so annoying....., Feb 15, 2007.

1. Hey peeps. I already figured this out, but since it gave me a lot of trouble
    i just thought i'd share it with everyone so others don't have to endure this
    annoying thing. This is especially helpful to those of you who, like me, mess
    around with services. Anyway, I was trying to install Windows Updates on
    Vista. It kept saying that all of the updates failed and said that the error
    code was 80070641. It wasn't listed in the help and support window, so that
    wasn't much help. Anyway, the problem with this one is kind of a
    head-slapper. If you get this message it means that your "Windows Installer"
    service is not enabled or not started. To fix this click Start>Control
    Panel>System and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Services>Give User Account
    Control password or confirmation>Make sure the service called "Remote
    Procedure Call (RPC) is on. If it's not, follow the same steps below that it
    says for windows installer. >Scroll Down until you see "Windows
    Installer">Right click>Properties>Under the General tab, make sure the
    startup type is "Automatic". This will start the service when windows starts
    (you want this if you are going to try to install anything)>Click OK>In the
    left-hand pane of the Services window, where it describes the service, click
    start. You should now be good to go. Try to install the updates again and if
    it doesn't work, you didn't get error code 80070641 or there's something else
    wrong. Hope this helps

This is so annoying....., Feb 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Thanks for posting this. Now, was Vista an upgrade, if so over what, or,
    was it installed you onto a clean Hard Drive, or, was this an OEM
    system ?

If we can find out just WHY, by whom or by what, the Installer service
    was set to be Disabled on boot, that would be very helpful.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
    ===============
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ===============

This is so annoying..... wrote:

> Hey peeps. I already figured this out, but since it gave me a lot of trouble
    > i just thought i'd share it with everyone so others don't have to endure this
    > annoying thing. This is especially helpful to those of you who, like me, mess
    > around with services. Anyway, I was trying to install Windows Updates on
    > Vista. It kept saying that all of the updates failed and said that the error
    > code was 80070641. It wasn't listed in the help and support window, so that
    > wasn't much help. Anyway, the problem with this one is kind of a
    > head-slapper. If you get this message it means that your "Windows Installer"
    > service is not enabled or not started. To fix this click Start>Control
    > Panel>System and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Services>Give User Account
    > Control password or confirmation>Make sure the service called "Remote
    > Procedure Call (RPC) is on. If it's not, follow the same steps below that it
    > says for windows installer. >Scroll Down until you see "Windows
    > Installer">Right click>Properties>Under the General tab, make sure the
    > startup type is "Automatic". This will start the service when windows starts
    > (you want this if you are going to try to install anything)>Click OK>In the
    > left-hand pane of the Services window, where it describes the service, click
    > start. You should now be good to go. Try to install the updates again and if
    > it doesn't work, you didn't get error code 80070641 or there's something else
    > wrong. Hope this helps

MowGreen [MVP], Feb 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. This is so annoying.....

andy Guest

thanks for the tip, followed your instructions and got rid of the error message
    --
    andyg

"This is so annoying....." wrote:

> wrong. Hope this helps

andy, Mar 30, 2007
  4. This is so annoying.....

mikeh Guest

I'm afraid that this didn't help me - I still can't install one of the
    Windows Update files and I still get the 80070641 error. I'm also one of
    those poor saps who can't install any other programs either, getting the
    Windows Installer 1719 error. I've tried everything I've found on the web to
    rectify this but to no avail. It's obviously a big problem with Vista judging
    by the hundreds of pleas for help on the web, but Microsoft offers no help at
    all. The nearest that they come to it is in advice for people using XP, and
    even that doesn't work for most people. So I'm stuck with a new operating
    system and no way to install programs!

But thanks for the tip - I'm sure that it's helped many other people.

"andy" wrote:

> thanks for the tip, followed your instructions and got rid of the error message
    > --
    > andyg
    >
    >
    > "This is so annoying....." wrote:
    >
    > > Hey peeps. I already figured this out, but since it gave me a lot of trouble
    > > i just thought i'd share it with everyone so others don't have to endure this
    > > annoying thing. This is especially helpful to those of you who, like me, mess
    > > around with services. Anyway, I was trying to install Windows Updates on
    > > Vista. It kept saying that all of the updates failed and said that the error
    > > code was 80070641. It wasn't listed in the help and support window, so that
    > > wasn't much help. Anyway, the problem with this one is kind of a
    > > head-slapper. If you get this message it means that your "Windows Installer"
    > > service is not enabled or not started. To fix this click Start>Control
    > > Panel>System and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Services>Give User Account
    > > Control password or confirmation>Make sure the service called "Remote
    > > Procedure Call (RPC) is on. If it's not, follow the same steps below that it
    > > says for windows installer. >Scroll Down until you see "Windows
    > > Installer">Right click>Properties>Under the General tab, make sure the
    > > startup type is "Automatic". This will start the service when windows starts
    > > (you want this if you are going to try to install anything)>Click OK>In the
    > > left-hand pane of the Services window, where it describes the service, click
    > > start. You should now be good to go. Try to install the updates again and if
    > > it doesn't work, you didn't get error code 80070641 or there's something else
    > > wrong. Hope this helps

mikeh, Apr 17, 2007
  5. This is so annoying.....

John Holland Guest

I treid following the instructions in the first message, but could not find
    Windows Installer, only Windows Modules Installer - is this the same thing?
    Either way, it would not allow me to save the setting as 'Automatic' when
    going into the Properties, defaulting always to 'Manual' and therefore not
    starting.

I've tried so many times to install the following three updates:

KB934173
    KB933688
    KB934670

and still, the same error code 80070641 comes up, with no explanation
    anywhere of what it actually means.

I'm getting really annoyed with this, as these updates are deemed
    'important', but my system is unable to do anything about it!

Please can somebody help!

(I'm running Vista Home Premium, 32-bit, if that helps)

John Holland, May 23, 2007
  6. This is so annoying.....

Chuck Guest

Thanks to one of the other discussion threads found a solution that worked
    for me. I have SpyDoctor installed. Had to disable OnGuard - then install
    worked! (enabled OnGuard afterwards)
    Chuck

> wrong. Hope this helps

Chuck, May 25, 2007
  7. This is so annoying.....

Helen Guest

> wrong. Hope this helps

Helen, Nov 24, 2007
  8. This is so annoying.....

Helen Guest

I did everything u told, but I still get this error code 80070641, and when I
    try to install skype it says error code 1601.
    What else should I do?

> wrong. Hope this helps

Helen, Nov 24, 2007
  9. "Helen" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I did everything u told, but I still get this error code 80070641, and when I
    > try to install skype it says error code 1601.
    > What else should I do?

Look for context in the logs. Use both the hex and the decimal representations
    of the code you are getting.

BTW note that 0x0641 == 1601

<cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
    F:\>set /a c = 0x641
    F:\>net helpmsg %c%

The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur
    if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer
    is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.
    </cmd_output>

Hmm.. I guess you could also search this newsgroup for suggestions which
    involve the "Windows Installer Service" (Use the quotes when you search.)

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

>
    >
    >
    >
    > "This is so annoying....." wrote:
    >
    >> Hey peeps. I already figured this out, but since it gave me a lot of trouble
    >> i just thought i'd share it with everyone so others don't have to endure this
    >> annoying thing. This is especially helpful to those of you who, like me, mess
    >> around with services. Anyway, I was trying to install Windows Updates on
    >> Vista. It kept saying that all of the updates failed and said that the error
    >> code was 80070641. It wasn't listed in the help and support window, so that
    >> wasn't much help. Anyway, the problem with this one is kind of a
    >> head-slapper. If you get this message it means that your "Windows Installer"
    >> service is not enabled or not started. To fix this click Start>Control
    >> Panel>System and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Services>Give User Account
    >> Control password or confirmation>Make sure the service called "Remote
    >> Procedure Call (RPC) is on. If it's not, follow the same steps below that it
    >> says for windows installer. >Scroll Down until you see "Windows
    >> Installer">Right click>Properties>Under the General tab, make sure the
    >> startup type is "Automatic". This will start the service when windows starts
    >> (you want this if you are going to try to install anything)>Click OK>In the
    >> left-hand pane of the Services window, where it describes the service, click
    >> start. You should now be good to go. Try to install the updates again and if
    >> it doesn't work, you didn't get error code 80070641 or there's something else
    >> wrong. Hope this helps

Robert Aldwinckle, Nov 25, 2007
  10. This is so annoying.....

fishgirl Guest

Thank you for share, but the way of Services wouldn't be found under
    Administravtive Tools, so this problem still unable to solve. So upset.

fishgirl, Jul 14, 2008
  11. Windows Update Error 8007064

Thank you so much for your help of 14 Feb 07. It was all I needed ,and easy and straightforward too. Thanks again

Barbara Hoyland, Jul 14, 2008
  12. This is so annoying.....

John Tango Guest

Is this also in Dutch available?

> wrong. Hope this helps

John Tango, Sep 18, 2008
  13. This is so annoying.....

[ deleted ]

, Apr 27, 2014
    1. Advertisements