XP SP3 install failing - An extended error has occurred

Discussion in 'Windows Update' started by Hsolo30k, Oct 10, 2008.

  1. Hsolo30k

    Hsolo30k Guest

    When installing XP SP 3 I get the following error:
    Service Pack 3 Setup Error An extended error has occurred

    Event Viewer shows Source NTServicePack wioth Event id 4373

    The svcpack.log log file shows the following
    458.049: DoInstallation:SecurityConfigSystemCommit Failed: 0x800704b8
    462.546: UnRegisterSpuninstForRecovery, failed to delete SpRecoverCmdLine
    value, error 0x2
    462.566: DoInstallation: Failed to unregistering spuninst.exe for recovery.
    462.576: An extended error has occurred.

    I have antivirus off, firewall off ran the permissions program with SubInACL
    and have all the other latetest updates. Seems to get about half way done,
    then errors out no matter what I try. I've done it through autoupdate, as
    well as downloading the full sp3 install. Happens both ways. Anybody have any
    ideas?
     
    Hsolo30k, Oct 10, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Have you ever reinstalled WinXP on this machine? Did you do so recently?

    Related conversation:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3348647&SiteID=17

    WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldro...requisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

    Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
    Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
    e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
    http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
    XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
     
    PA Bear [MS MVP], Oct 10, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Hsolo30k

    zuke Guest

    One would like to fdix the updatae without a re-intall. Of course everything
    works after a re-install. One wants a fix without the re-install. This
    quetion is of little value. I have the same problem adn would prefer to not
    reinstall.
     
    zuke, Mar 27, 2009
    #3
  4. Did I tell the OP (who is not you) to reinstall Windows?
     
    PA Bear [MS MVP], Mar 28, 2009
    #4
  5. Hsolo30k

    TaurArian Guest

    OK.

    zuke wrote:
    :: One would like to fdix the updatae without a re-intall. Of course
    :: everything works after a re-install. One wants a fix without the
    :: re-install. This quetion is of little value. I have the same problem
    :: adn would prefer to not reinstall.
    ::
    :: "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
    ::
    ::: Have you ever reinstalled WinXP on this machine? Did you do so
    ::: recently?
    :::
    ::: Related conversation:
    :::
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3348647&SiteID=17
    :::
    ::: WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
    :::
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldro...requisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx
    :::
    ::: Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available
    ::: for Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09.
    ::: Chat and e-mail support is available only in the United States and
    ::: Canada. Go to
    ::: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=1173 | select
    ::: "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3" --
    ::: ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    ::: MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
    ::: AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
    ::: DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
    :::
    ::: Hsolo30k wrote:
    :::: When installing XP SP 3 I get the following error:
    :::: Service Pack 3 Setup Error An extended error has occurred
    ::::
    :::: Event Viewer shows Source NTServicePack wioth Event id 4373
    ::::
    :::: The svcpack.log log file shows the following
    :::: 458.049: DoInstallation:SecurityConfigSystemCommit Failed:
    :::: 0x800704b8 462.546: UnRegisterSpuninstForRecovery, failed to
    :::: delete SpRecoverCmdLine value, error 0x2
    :::: 462.566: DoInstallation: Failed to unregistering spuninst.exe for
    :::: recovery.
    :::: 462.576: An extended error has occurred.
    ::::
    :::: I have antivirus off, firewall off ran the permissions program with
    :::: SubInACL
    :::: and have all the other latetest updates. Seems to get about half
    :::: way done, then errors out no matter what I try. I've done it
    :::: through autoupdate, as well as downloading the full sp3 install.
    :::: Happens both ways. Anybody have any ideas?
     
    TaurArian, Mar 28, 2009
    #5
  6. Actually, this is one problem that is often *caused* by reinstalling. Hence PA
    Bear's question.

    Harry.


    One wants a fix without the re-install. This
     
    Harry Johnston [MVP], Mar 28, 2009
    #6
  7. PA Bear's question to the OP, I'll add.
     
    PA Bear [MS MVP], Mar 28, 2009
    #7
  8. Hsolo30k

    no1

    Joined:
    May 18, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I got the same error shown on line 462.546, I was able to resolve this by using the /nobackup switch.
     
    no1, May 18, 2011
    #8
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.